MULLION halted St Keverne’s winning run in the Ron Curnow Memorial Tournament on Saturday by beating them 3-1 in the final.

Goals from Alan Thomas, Jacob Lugg and Jake Green proved to be enough for the hosts to secure their first title in the competition at Clifden Parc held in memory of the Lizard Peninsula footballing stalwart, who passed away in 2011.

The teams had reached the final after Mullion beat Cury 3-1 and the Saints won 1-0 against Lizard in the semi finals during the week.

It was a game which Mullion dominated throughout as Keverne, who have won both of the previous two editions of the tournament, struggled to keep possession for significant amounts of time.

Early pressure was applied by Mullion with two corners being won inside the first three minutes of the game.

On the second of them, player-manager Dan Higgins came close to opening the scoring as he rose above everyone in the box, only to see his header go just over.

Chris Ensink could have scored three minutes later after finding himself onside as he latched onto a ball over the top, but the forward could not keep his effort on target, despite only goalkeeper Jer Brown being in his way.

The breakthrough finally came in the 24th minute as a well delivered free kick by Nathan Davison floated onto the head of Thomas, who made no mistake to nod Mullion in front.

Five minutes later Thomas could have grabbed a second, but this time saw his headed effort go over the crossbar.

Keverne kept advancing towards their opposition’s final third, but on each occasion were scuppered by a poor pass or Mullion’s resolute defending.

However, the tide looked to be turning four minutes before half-time when Lugg scored an own goal as he tried to head clear a cross from the left wing, making proceedings level at the break.

But two minutes into the second half, it was Lugg who took responsibility and made sure momentum did not shift as the defender scored in the right goal as he ventured upfield to put his team ahead again.

This started another big spell of pressure for the home team with chances falling to Dan Reid.

His first shot in the 52nd minute rattled the crossbar and bounced clear, with goal-line technology being the only thing which could have determined if it was a goal or not.

Three minutes later he hit another shot just over before he saw Brown make a fantastic save in the 63rd minute to prevent a headed effort going in.

Brown also pulled off a penalty save from Ensink in the 64th minute.

After surviving this storm, the Saints tried to level matters again with their best chance falling to Dominic Pearce who fired a shot from 20 yards out onto the crossbar in the 71st minute.

Despite their best efforts though, Green made sure the cup went to Mullion as he leapt up at a corner to head home with eight minutes left.

After the final whistle, the Mullion players collected their medals and the trophy, with club chairman Chris Rosevear praising the tournament and those who watched it.

Rosevear said: “I want to thank everyone who has helped and supported with today’s events.

“I particularly want to thank Kay Curnow and her daughters, Karen and Stuart Massey, Scott Black and all the teams who entered the competition. Their support today has been tremendous.”

An 80s themed disco held after the final raised £150 for the Ella’s Memory charity.