ST GLUVIAS seconds chased a mammoth 221 at Kernick Road on Saturday to record a two wicket victory in their quest for promotion.

Away team skipper Trevor Cotton elected to bat after winning the toss on a lively wicket and it was the hosts who made an early breakthrough with Andrew Bowden bowling, Jowan Stedmon in the second over of the game as the batsman tried to heave the ball to cow corner from the off stump.

This brought Cotton to the crease, who put on a small partnership with opener Adam Payne before he perished being bowled by spinner Joseph Nesbitt with a ball turning down the hill onto the stumps.

Nesbitt began to find his rhythm and had Stephen Barker caught at mid wicket by his dad Jon Nesbitt, back playing cricket again after a knee injury.

Sam Duckham had Greg Rowe caught for four by Jack Gleadowe before trapping Marius Odendaal LBW for three and bowling Sam Marment for four as Buryan lost three quick wickets.

Christopher Phillips came in and put on a quickfire 26 which included a six and a couple of fours.

During this partnership, the Saints thought they had Cotton stumped by David Connolly with the wicketkeeper and skipper Kevin Hawke, fielding at square leg, both convinced he was gone, but the away umpire saw otherwise.

Cotton got to his century and remained at the other end with a career best 115 not out, with 15 fours to his name, as Buryan closed on 221-9. Duckham ended with figures of three for 25.

In reply, St Gluvias lost the younger Nesbitt cheaply for one with the score on 22 as he was bowled by Odendaal. He also accounted for the wickets of Ambrose for 24 and top scorer Richard Bannister, whose 37 included three fours and two sixes.

Willey was next to fall on 25 and was unlucky to go as he was caught and bowled with a great one handed catch by Phillips.

Pearce was at the crease when Nesbitt senior came in, who had aggravated his knee injury and was unable to run quick singles. Despite the injury he still scored a quickfire 14 off nine balls, with three boundaries, before falling LBW to Stedmon.

Hawke then came in and set about chasing the total with Pearce, but the latter to fell to Matthews, being caught in the covers by Odendaal.

When Andrew Bowden departed for four after being caught behind by Vaughn Try off a top edge, the hosts were 172-6 with eight overs left and needing 50 to win.

Duckham came to the crease and batted with his step-dad and together they managed a 30 run partnership in four overs, punishing loose bowling from Matthews and Stedmon before Hawke was caught behind on 16.

The Saints required 20 from 20 balls and things looked up as Gleadowe came to the crease and smashed his first ball straight down the ground for four.

Stedmon continued from the other end and quick singles by both Duckham and Gleadowe brought it down to 12 from 19 before Gleadowe went big again heaving a four away to the scorebox.

Again some smart running between the wickets, the duo brought the game level in the 47th over needing one off the last over. Gleadowe then belted the first ball of the over for six, leaving Buryan stunned as Saints ended on 227-8 with five balls to spare.