STEVE Jewell said Penryn Athletic’s 1-1 draw away at Sticker felt like a loss after conceding the equaliser five minutes from the end.

Luke Brabyn had put Borough in front during the first half at Burngullow Park, but in the 85th minute, a Jason Rogers strike meant both sides left their first match of the season with a point each.

Athletic’s joint manager Jewell said having been ahead for so long before letting the hosts back in was a big disappointment.

“If you had said to be before the match you can come out of this with a point, I would have been happy,” he said.

“But with the way we played, this really does feel more like a loss than it does a draw.

“We had about seven good chances which we didn’t put away and they had three, so it showed we were on top against a side who are a tough team to play at their place.

“But we will get over it and move forward to our next game at Perranporth on Saturday with a bit of confidence.”

The deadlock was broken by Brabyn in the 35th minute.

Dave Lizard rolled a free kick on the left wing to a sprinting Russell May who sent a cross into the box.

The ball sailed over Sticker goalkeeper Ryan Holland and found Brabyn at the back post, giving him the simple task of nodding into an empty net from close range.

Sam Kenny nearly gave Sticker and instant response when he ran onto a through ball and put the ball into the net, only to see the linesman’s flag raised for offside.

Borough managed to hold onto their lead for most of the second half before disaster struck with five minutes left.

Substitute Lewis Stockley found himself with the ball on the left wing after it ricocheted to him after a tackle.

The 16-year-old crossed the ball into box where Rogers was waiting at the back post to knock it into the net and break the hearts of Penryn’s players and supporters.

PENRYN LINE-UP: Payne, Lizard, Newberry (Scoley, 25), Martt, May, Brabyn, Moody, Broglino, Cooke (Hobbs, 65), Lawrence, Wilton (Leech, 65).

SUB NOT USED: Packman.