WITH an hour gone it looked very much as if Camborne were on their way toward pulling off a surprise win in keeping with recent MK Dons exploits against Manchester United in the other code.

The mixture of youth, inexperience & unfamiliarity within Pirate ranks had shown individual moments of flair and promise but, with knowledgeable campaigners such as David Mankee, David Roberts and Jamie Goldsworthy et al in their faces, something needed to change to at least spare some blushes.

Player-coaches Gavin Cattle and Alan Paver clearly agreed as they introduced themselves for the last quarter and the complexion of the game changed instantly.

Prior to this Town, who having survived the first half pressure from their guests, had gradually turned the screw after the break. This after they had been unfortunate not to have at least one score on the board in the opening exchanges when Roberts had a seemingly good try scrubbed off.

The Pirates to their credit brushed off this early scare and via a building rapport from Mike Pope and Bertie Hopkin's half back pairing began to take charge of matters.

Jamal Ford-Robinson's flattening of Taron Peacock signalled a change in tempo which soon saw Hopkin cross the line in the 15th minute to open the scoring. The recently signed fly half added the extras with ease for the first of his three conversions.

Pirate dominance up front however failed to add to the tally, a factor Town duly punished in the dying moments of the first period.

Richard Kevern's hack forward did the damage from which Peacock, now back with full vision and awareness, was to benefit. Mankee's conversion deservedly levelled things.

Within ten minutes of the restart, Mankee had slotted two more goals from the tee and the Cherries started to wonder.

When Sam Marland then fumbled a greasy pill in the Pirates' 22, it ultimately lead to Neil Stanlieck being bundled over for his side's second try and they now started to believe.

Cattle and Paver had seen enough. Max Bodilly was at this point the most experienced Pirate on the pitch. The rain had eased and the mist lifted sufficiently to soften the blow no doubt of their earlier than planned introductions, but the difference was immediate.

Number eight Todd Lowry had caught the eye up to this point, but with a Welsh tongue lashing in his ear he now impressed. His control at the back of a tightened and more effective scrum gifted Cattle with his two tries.

Locryn Williams, looking similar in build and demeanour to a certain England international from Newlyn, showed speed and vision at flanker from the moment he was let off the leash. Two breaks in particular could have led to more.

Disappointment on the face of it for Town it would seem and perhaps a few 'what-ifs'. But on this showing there is plenty of promise for the season to come.

Camborne RFC: 15 Grant Thirlby, 14 Scott Murray, 13 Richard Kevern, 12 Steve Kenward, 11 Ben Drew, 10 David Mankee, 9 Taron Peacock; 1 Kye Beasley, 2 Sam Bartle, 3 Leigh Hocking, 4 Tony Whittle, 5 Jimmy Goldsworthy, 6 Neil Stanleick, 7 George Hall, 8 David Roberts Replacements (used): Stuart Milliner, Andrius Zacharovas, Malcolm Hearn, Laurie Manna, James Briant, Joe Parma.

Cornish Pirates: 15 Matt Evans, 14 Kyle Moyle, 13 Tom Riley, 12 Tom Hendrickson, 11 Max Bodilly, 10 Bertie Hopkin, 9 Mike Pope; 1 Jamal Ford-Robinson, 2 Dean Brooker, 3 Tyler Gendall, 4 Marcus Garratt, 5 Will Carrick Smith, 6 Jake Parker (c), 7 George Collenette, 8 Todd Lowry.

Replacements (all used): Jack Innard, Alan Paver, Locryn Williams, Brad Howe, Gavin Cattle, Oliver Snook Laurence May, Alex Ducker, Sam Marland.


Camborne RFC - Tries: Peacock, Stanleick Cons: Mankee (2)

Pens: Mankee (2).

Cornish Pirates -Tries: Cattle (2), Hopkin Cons: Hopkin (3).

Referee: K. Williams (CRRS).