Helston Ath 0, Tiverton Res 1

Helston Athletic lost out in the final minute against Tiverton in a hotly contested affair, writes Chris Jones.

Substitute Ethan Phillips scored the winner for Tiverton in the 90th minute to consign the Blues to their second home defeat in five days, after losing 2-1 to Bodmin last Tuesday.

Helston manager Sid Taylor said: “We’re a little bit disappointed to concede a late goal in the last few minutes and I thought we competed really well with them. I felt we deserved at least a point out of the game.”

Tiverton took firm control of the first half with a flurry of chances, the best falling to James Richardson in the 10th minute however his shot went just wide of the left post.

Helston were not creating much and Tiverton could have found themselves 1-0 up in the 37th minute when Richardson found himself through on goal with only the keeper to beat, however he was called back for offside.

Helston had the final say of the half after Phil Cattran’s free kick from 18 yards almost nestled into the bottom right corner but the ball brushed the wrong side of the post.

Both teams came out for the second half strong and it was Helston who had the best chance when Matt Drummond found himself through on goal but his drilled shot drifted just past the post.

Helston could have taken the lead in the 63rd minute if it wasn’t for a superb save from John Wannell after a superb volley on the turn from Drummond.

But it was not to be Helston’s day, second half substitute Phillips' superb run allowed Luke Mortimore to find him in space in the 90th minute and the striker tucked the shot into the bottom right corner to seal all three points for the away side.

Helston: Barrie Wyatt, Scott Kellow, Ed Estall, Jamie Thompson, Aaron Collick, Kirk Davies, Jordan Adlard, Will Paul, Phil Cattran, Matt Drummond, Luke Tripconey, Gemell Mills, Keegan McPhilbin, Mattie Buchan.

Packet Pick: Aaron Collick.

Helston are at home again on Saturday, when Godolphin will be the visitors (3pm).