Falmouth Town 3, Helston Ath 1

HELSTON’S recent run went from bad to worse when defensive mainstay Hugh Howlett first scored a bizarre own goal before later being sent off, as Falmouth won the Good Friday derby at Bickland Park.

A frustrated Sid Taylor, who announced his resignation as Helston boss earlier in the week, was also sent to the stands after remonstrating too strongly with referee Stuart Kane after Howlett’s dismissal.

For Falmouth, it was their first victory in four matches as 17 year old Will Trew made his full first team debut with a splendid first half goal.

The youngster was going to take his place on the substitutes’ bench as he had done at Plymouth Parkway last Tuesday, but an illness to Glen Squires meant he was promoted to the starting eleven.

A willing runner on the left, he assumed a central position for his 20th minute goal. A corner from the left broke to Dan Richardson on the edge of the area and his drive hit the right hand post.

Helston failed to clear the rebound and this time Drew picked up the ball, took a touch and hammered it low into the right hand corner.

Seven minutes later Town were 2-0 up when Howlett, 40 yards from goal, misdirected his back pass to Barrie Wyatt who scrambled goalwards desperately trying to keep it out, but he was unable to do so.

A snapshot by Phil Cattran was turned away smartly by Town keeper Ryan Barnes and the Helston number 9 then whistled a free kick just wide moments later.

Jordan Annear then spurned two clear chances in as many minutes – the first after a lovely dink over the top by Jack Stocker, which he overrun into the grateful arms of Wyatt.

He had a chance to make amends a minute later, but his attempted lob sliced well wide.

The game was delayed for almost ten minutes midway through the second half when Wyatt suffered a nasty collision with his defender Aaron Collick. The keeper was forced off the pitch, nose bloodied, with Scott Kellow taking over in goal.

One of Kellow’s first duties was to pick the ball out of the net after Rob Wearne smashed home a bouncing ball and effectively end the game as a contest.

Helston toiled for a consolation and earned one in stoppage time when substitute Matt Buchan converted from the penalty shot after a foul on Matt Drummond.

Falmouth: R Barnes, E Timmons, T Annear, T Whipp, J Cooper, J Stocker (R Pope 66m), A Westgarth (S Retchford 90m), D Richardson, R Wearne, J Annear, W Trew (K Thomas 80m).

Helston: B Wyatt (M Buchan 77m), S Kellow, S Jenkin (B Stidwell 61m), J Thomson, H Howlett, A Collick, T Russell, J McCardie (D Stidwell 59m), P Cattran, M Drummond, L Tripconey. Sub not use: K Maughan