Saltash United 3, Falmouth Town 0 FALMOUTH TOWN recorded their eighth loss in their last nine games against Saltash United on Saturday as they slumped to a disappointing 3-0 defeat, writes Matt Friday at Kimberley Stadium.

Town had the better of the opening 45 minutes, but a dire start to the second half ensured Falmouth continued their miserable recent record against the Ashes.

The ball was in the net after just five minutes when veteran striker Lee Phillips slid home Sam Hughes’ cross at the far post, only for it to be ruled out for offside.

Falmouth enjoyed superiority in the first half with Ryan Martt’s header being cleared off the line, before Jack Webber shot over the crossbar when through on goal later on.

But Saltash should have led on 42 minutes when Falmouth keeper Harry McMellon was left stranded outside his box, but Tom Annear superbly cleared Tom King’s header off the line.

However the hosts did take their next chance in the 54th minute when Lewis Young’s shot struck the post and Sam Farrant tucked home the rebound to put Saltash in front.

The home side had the chance to double their lead less than two minutes later when they won a penalty, but Farrant blazed his kick high over the crossbar.

However they only had to wait another three minutes before they did double their advantage, when Young squeezed in a shot at the near post from close range.

The visitors struggled to create chances in the second half, and the best of which fell to Marcello Jones who forced a good reaction save out of Ryan Rickard in the 80th minute.

Any hopes of a Falmouth comeback were extinguished in the 85th minute when Hughes got the better of James Ward before slotting in at the near post to wrap up the victory.

Packet Pick: Dave Blizzard – A tough afternoon all round but he didn’t do much wrong on the right-hand side.

Falmouth: H McMellon, D Blizzard, O Moody, T Annear (A Frier 80), J Cooper (c), R Martt, L Brabyn, D Broglino, M Jones, J Webber (A Westgarth 66), O Walker (J Ward 62).

Falmouth host high-flying Plymouth Parkway on Tuesday night before taking on Torpoint Athletic on Saturday.