Truro High School student and aspiring sports photographer Lottie Richardson, writes her Blog as the official Port Pendennis Marina photographer during the J Class Falmouth Regatta.

TUESDAY: I was excited and nervous as we left Port Pendennis Marina after researching how to capture the beautiful J Class yachts, writes Lottie Richardson. Photographing them in the marina, was fine. But it would be a different story in Falmouth Bay. The J’s, Velsheda, a 1933 original and 3 modern replica’s; Lionheart, Rainbow and Ranger would be released to do what they were designed for. To race. Thankfully, I was on Puffin, skippered by Tim, with a fun group, so I managed to relax. And get some good shots of the race, which was won by Ranger in variable winds and fog.

WEDNESDAY: Cockwells was my host today on Ocean Fauna, an elegant motor launch. Based in Mylor Bridge, Cockwells designs and builds specialist boats. And they sponsored the J Class Regatta. With yet more gloomy weather, the J’s were emerging from the mist like the Mary Celeste. And I got some moody shots of their tall masts disappearing into the haze. Velsheda made an early gamble on race strategy to go on and win in the thickening fog.

THURSDAY: Port Pendennis Marina arranged for me to be on board Arlette, a lovely Nelson motor cruiser, with a great couple from Mylor, Mike and Alison Tebbutt. It was our first day of decent weather so, with 2 days experience, I was determined to get some great shots. And with Mike at the wheel, he certainly put us in some fantastic positions! Particularly at the windward mark off Porthallow. In fact, we were so close to the action, we were very nearly in the race. But to see the J’s sailing in a steady breeze with their 10,000 square foot spinnakers flying was a joy. And I did get some cracking shots. One of which, I think is my best of the week. Velsheda won again today.

FRIDAY: Today’s race was cancelled due to too much wind. Can you believe that. Princess Anne was a guest of Velsheda, on board its support vessel, Bystander. So with the race cancelled, Velsheda put on a display for HRH, which we followed.

SATURDAY: Today was perfect sailing conditions, with 22 knots of wind and sunshine. And I was lucky enough to be back on board Arlette with Mike and Alison for the final race of the Regatta. Unfortunately Rainbow’s spinnaker fell into the water and couldn’t be retrieved, so they retired. However, a close race saw Ranger win by 35 seconds, ahead of Lionheart. And with its tally from the 4 races, Ranger took the overall Regatta win as well.

SUMMARY: It was a fantastic work experience week. And a real privilege to see the stunning J Class. My photographs can be seen at I must say a big thank you to everyone who helped me. Particularly Mike Webb at Port Pendennis Marina. And Kernow Property Services and Café Mylor for the kindly lending me the superb digital SLR camera.