The evening league team of Falmouth CC finally fell at the penultimate hurdle in their attempt to win the Mining Division Evening League at the very first attempt in their history.

The team was formed by the Evening League captain Mark Averiss, who created the team to fill the gap left by a lack of midweek friendly fixtures at Falmouth CC.

The team lost to Mount Hawke & Porthtowan by just one wicket off the last ball of the match at the Victory ground on Monday evening.

Having won the toss, Falmouth batted first and made steady progress throughout the innings, despite the early unfortunate run out of Ashley Searle.

His opening partner 14 year old Aidan Carter continued undeterred finally finishing on 32 not out, having to retire as soon as he reached 30 due to Mining League rules.

Rob Eccleston also batted well, rapidly accumulating 28 before being caught a bowled by R Thomas.

Late runs by Will Deacon (12 not out) and Francis Lowry (14 not out) saw Falmouth to the relatively competitive total of 124 for 6 from their 20 overs.

In reply, Mount Hawke & Porthtowan started well, but were soon pegged back as two quick wickets from Rohan Nichols reduced the home side to 23 for 2.

James Pulford batted particularly well and aggressively in making 26 before becoming Nichols' 3rd wicket, well caught by Ashley Searle at mid-off.

Neil Stoddard held the Mount Hawke & Porthtowan innings together with a classy 34 not out as wickets fell around him.

Callum Davidson claimed a couple of wickets, and Francis Lowry claimed one, which left the home side needing

12 to win from the final over of the match.

Sadly, the quick scoring nature of the ground and some very adventurous running from the Mount

Hawke & Porthtowan players meant that the home side required two from the final bowl of the match.

By this time however, Neil Stoddard had returned to the crease (having previously retired upon reaching 30), and dispatched the ball to wide long on for the two runs required to win the match.