PROMISING signs for the season to come were displayed to Porthleven's supporters on Saturday in their 2-0 win over Penzance.

A clinical touch was shown by the Fishermen at Gala Parc as goals from Ryan Trathen and Freddie Williams saw them move to fourth in the South West Peninsula League West Division table.

In what was a highly anticipated game made juicier by the fact several former Magpies personnel are now in Port colours, the visitors had more shots at goal compared to their rivals.

However, John Dent's side found reserve goalkeeper Matt Quick, deputising the holidaying James Wignell, was unbeatable between the sticks and were left cursing themselves as they squandered golden opportunities.

At the opposite end Port, who had to start the game with ten men as Quick turned up 15 minutes late, did not create as many clear-cut chances but made the most of what they did produce with their two best moves being converted.

After the game, Port's boss Phil Kellow said: "It was a very good entertaining game and both sides were attacking.

"We're a fit, young side and we played some lovely stuff and most importantly were clinical and over the 90 minutes I think we deserved the win."

During pre-season, Port had stuffed Penzance 6-1 in the Dave Gardner Tournament and were confident going into this match of bagging another victory.

The Magpies had conjured up a good start to the season though, winning both their opening games.

Despite starting with ten, Port did not seem overwhelmed by the situation as they kept control of the ball in Penzance's half for most of the 15 minutes before Quick arrived.

Obviously it still proved to be a disadvantage as they were unable to create any chances and a minute before Quick came on, the visitors moved into Port's final third and Tyler Tonkin forced stand-in keeper Richard Kellow to produce a great diving save from his shot taken 25 yards out.

George Molcher got Port's first decent effort at goal on target just before the half hour as he jinked past a couple of defenders, but the end product was weak and saved by Paul Williams.

Quick made his first telling contribution to the game in the 30th minute as he pushed Callum George's stinging shot wide and from the following corner, Liam Richardson will feel he should have done better as he nodded the ball over inside the six yard box.

Penzance were made to pay for these misses when four minutes before the break, Trathen continued his streak of scoring in every game so far this season as he beat the offside trap from Jed McCardie's pass and sent a right footed shot past Williams.

In the second half, Penzance kept creating and missing opportunities with Richardson going close three times.

His first saw Quick rush out and block a shot and from the resulting corner he flicked a header onto the crossbar.

But it was his final chance which was the easiest as he kicked the ball wide from yards out with an open goal to aim at after Gavin Boon's run into the box caused havoc.

Port made sure of the victory in the 82nd minute when Williams finished off a lovely move down as Liam Hunter sent a divine cross in from the left, finding his team-mate at the back post to head home.

PORTHLEVEN: Quick, J Greet, Shainberg, S Kellow (c), R Kellow (Heywood 77), Williams, Molcher (Luke Hunter 68), Luke Hunter, Trathen, McCardie, Best.

UNUSED SUBS: Orchard, Hannaford, Hosking.