AFTER starting the season with two wins in a row, Helston Athletic have now suffered a couple of losses in successive weekends.

The Blues fought back from 2-0 down to level matters against Callington Town on Saturday in their South West Peninsula League Premier clash, only to see a late goal from Gary Williams condemn them to defeat.

Making his return to the Athletic starting line-up for the match was regular skipper Jamie Thomson after his ban following a red card at Vospers Oak Villa towards the end of last season finished.

Charlie Young, who recently re-signed for the Blues from St Austell, also made his first start for the club in his latest spell, having only been used as a substitute the previous week against Bodmin Town.

There was plenty of action at Marshfield Park from both sides during an entertaining game, but the opening goal came from the hosts, who made the semi finals of the Cornwall Senior Cup last season.

In the 17th minute, Town made the most of a napping Blues defence as midfielder Michael Lucas ran into the box and got on the end of a cross, sending his header past Jason Robertson.

Things did not pick up for Athletic and 12 minutes later, there was a sense of deja vu as Lucas was on target again with a headed effort, with the ball coming in from the right on both occasions.

Sid Taylor's side made it to the break without conceding any more goals and came out for the second half looking more determined.

They started to create chances on the ball and got a reward for their improvements as Young scored his first goal since returning to the Blues as he pounced on a defensive error to rattle in a shot which Sam Borthwick could not reach.

This appeared to really bring Athletic to life and six minutes later they found an equalisers through Phil Cattran.

The teenager's second goal for the club came direct from a free kick which he curled in from 20 yards out.

With the game up for the taking, both sides searched for a winner with excitement at both ends of the pitch.

Town felt they should have had a penalty, suggesting Lucas had been held by Robertson in the area, only for the referee to wave their appeals away.

However, a more pleasing look was etched on home supporters' faces in the 80th minute when after winning a free kick, Williams managed to bring cheer as he scored.

Tonight will see history made at Kellaway Park as the Blues host St Austell in the first floodlit game to be played at the ground, with kick-off at 7.45pm.

HELSTON: Robertson, Davies, Howlett, Roberts, Ellis, Adlard (Bell 28), Thomson (c, Thirkle 65), Russell, Young (McPhilbin 70), Goldsworthy, Cattran.