Falmouth Town 13, Cornish Legends 5

To attach a scoreline to this match scarcely does justice to what was a splendid occasion, watched by a healthy crowd keen to show their appreciation for the Legends.

Some of the finest players to don a Falmouth shirt in the last 30 years were on view – stalwarts such as Tommy Matthews, George Torrance, Andrew Street and Mark Rapsey.

At times they were understandably overrun by their current replacements, who produced some incisive passing and clinical finishing which drew praise from the illustrious Legends after the match.

There were some great moments to savour – a trademark drop of the shoulder from Torrance, a halfway line goal from Adrian Street and a delightful collection of flicks and passes from the fleet-of-foot Dale Band.

But the biggest cheer of the day was reserved for “Rappo”, who came on as a second half substitute and promptly scored a hat-trick in 15 minutes.

Yes, the third goal was rather contrived by a generous Town back four, but the first goal reminded everyone of the 50 year-old’s scent for a goal, when he produced an unerring strike from 12 yards out.

He also missed a couple of glaring chances, but it mattered not.

What mattered was the gathering of a fantastic collection of players who had all graced Bickland Park over the years.

The ground is 60 years old this year and with a housing development on the site imminent, it will almost certainly be the last time many of those players step on to the hallowed turf.

Falmouth raced into a 4-0 lead, with Luke Brabyn opening the floodgates after only three minutes and two goals from Tyler Cooke and one from Jack Webber putting Town firmly in command.

Adrian Street then lit up the ground with a sensational opportunist goal. From the kick-off after the fourth goal, he spotted Ryan Barnes out of position in goal and pumped the ball past him and into the left hand corner.

Paddy Scrace had to withdraw with an injury, to be replaced by Andy Parr who then suffered a minor strain himself.

Dave Philp made several fine saves to keep the score down in the Legends goal, but one errant clearance from him allowed Cooke to complete his hat-trick.

Cooke and then Ryan Martt extended the lead, with Tom Annear making it eight.

Harry Clarke then produced a superb strike to make it 9-1 at the interval.

With younger legs such as Band, Gary Wheildon and Rapsey’s son Jack introduced in the second period, the Legends were able to stem the first half tide.

Town made several changes of their own, with Jordan Annear, Andrew Westgarth and Marcello Jones among those taking to the field.

Annear scored past his father Dennis to open Town’s second half account, before Jones combined with Annear to score a delightful goal. Westgarth and Annear extended the tally to 13.

A delicious reverse pass from Band then found Wheildon on the left hand side. He rolled the ball into Ian Grant whose fierce drive was tipped away by Barnes.

Then the cavalry arrived for the Legends, who played the final 15 minutes with 14 men.

Damian Stevens scored a goal that would grace any game after good work from Band and Jason Carwardine, unleashing a tremendous 20-yard strike into the top right hand corner of Barnes’ net.

Rapsey then slotted home from 12 yards before his son Jack set him up for the Legends’ fourth goal.

With spectators now sensing a fairytale ending, the Town players duly obliged to allow Rapsey to complete his hat-trick with the final kick of the match.

Falmouth Town: Ryan Barnes, Harry Clarke, Ollie Moody, Joe Cooper, Ryan Martt, Luke Brabyn, Tom Annear, Jack Webber, Ollie Walker, Tyler Cooke. Subs: David Broglino, Andrew Westgarth, Jordan Annear, Marcello Jones.

Cornish Legends: Dave Philp, Jason Carwardine, Jon Perrow, George Torrance, Paddy Scrace, Tommy Matthews, Phil Shapcott, Damian Stevens, Kevin Burleigh, Adrian Street, Ross Pope. Subs: Dale Band, Andy Parr, Gary Wheildon, Andy Street, Alan Lenton, Ian Grant, Wayne Brown, Jack Rapsey, Matt Salmon.

For more pictures and reaction, see Wednesday's edition of the Falmouth Packet.