Nearby residents on Killigrew Street can enjoy some peace and quiet this weekend after police and Cornwall Council officers confiscated equipment used to cause a noise nuisance from a home. 

Officers from Cornwall Council’s Public Health and Protection team, working with the Police, entered the address in Falmouth today, October 11, and confiscated equipment used to cause a noise nuisance.

A Noise Abatement Notice was served on the occupier of the premises in Killigrew Street, Falmouth on October 4 following evidence of "loud music causing a disturbance to neighbouring residents".

Officers from the Public Health and Protection team also visited and witnessed the noise during the early hours of October 5.

A council spokesman said that despite previous warnings after the noise abatement notice was served, the occupants of the property continued to cause "unreasonable disturbance to their neighbours". 

Following the breach of the legal notice, a warrant was obtained and the property was entered and noise making equipment removed. The equipment removed included a large television, surround sound system, stereo system and speakers.

Authorised officers are able to enter, by force if necessary, and can remove any equipment that could be used to cause a noise nuisance – this can include televisions, games consoles, CD and DVD players and other such equipment.

The removed equipment will be retained by the Public Health and Protection Department for a minimum of 28 days and Cornwall Council also has the option to prosecute the offender which could result in a fine of up to £5,000.

The Noise Abatement Notice will remain in force ensuring that any new equipment brought into the property can be dealt with in the same manner should the need arise.

“Excessive noise which affects neighbours and the local community amounts to anti social behaviour and will not be tolerated.” said Geoff Brown, Cornwall Council Cabinet Member for Homes and Communities.

“Our Environmental Protection Officers will continue to monitor and seize equipment whenever necessary to crack down on this sort of unreasonable behaviour.”

Complaints about noise pollution can be made to the Environmental Protection Team at Cornwall Council via your local one stop shop, by telephoning 0300 1234 212 or through your local Councillor.

You can also report any kind of anti-social behaviour via the Safer Cornwall website.