Firefighters were called to Stithians this morning after a 'spontaneous' hay bale fire set a barn alight

Two fire appliances from Falmouth Community Fire Station were mobilised to this incident just before 8am and on arrival crews found a small barn on fire.

A spokesman said that the flames were is believed to have spread from round bales of hay stored in the barn.

Adding: "The crews used two sets of breathing apparatus and two hosereels to extinguish the fire. The possible cause for ignition was that the hay bales were wet when stored and spontaeously combusted."