The brother of Marc Cole, who died after being Tasered by police last week, has paid an emotional tribute to the father-of-two who has been described as a devoted family man and a loyal friend who had a wicked sense of humour.

Danny Cole is also keen to make it clear that Marc, who was known as Colesy, had not been trying to kill himself when the police were called to Langton Road last Tuesday evening. Officers attended following reports of a man armed with a knife, but Danny insists his brother was no danger to anyone.

Speaking exclusively to the Falmouth Packet in his only media interview, Danny said: "He was not out to hurt anyone or himself, but by the time we got to hospital it was all over Facebook that he had tried to kill himself so we want to set the record straight. That just is not true. He had some personal problems that came to a head that day but he wouldn't have hurt anyone."

The incident, which allegedly involved the Taser being deployed twice, is now being investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC). Colesy's family has been warned that this inquiry could delay his funeral by up to four or five months.

"Mum is devastated and this is making it worse," said Danny, who runs the Falmouth and Penryn Amateur Boxing Club from the Dracaena Centre. "We all just want to hold the funeral because until we do we cannot get any sort of closure."

Colesy leaves behind his mum, Susan Cole; siblings, Danny, 32, and Lisa, 34; partner Nadine Kinder and their two sons, Caden, who will be four in a fortnight, and Caleb, who is almost one. "He worshipped them, they were his life," said Danny. "He also idolised our mum and was a loyal little brother - there was nothing he wouldn't do for me."

The self-employed painter and decorator had dedicated his time to caring for their father, John, during his two year battle with cancer - a fight he sadly lost last year. "He had nursed dad throughout the two years and did everything for him," said Danny.

Colesy had grown up in the Old Hill and Beacon areas of Falmouth, attending Penwerris School, before moving on to Beacon Junior and then Falmouth School. "He was well respected in the area and I have had over 400 messages from people - everyone knew my brother," added Danny.

Colesy was an avid fan of boxing, loved his food and had a great sense of humour. One of his best friends since the age of ten, Charlie Black, said: "We would sit around joking for hours - that is all we would do, just take the p*** out of each other constantly.

"He was also the most loyal person I have ever met. If I ever had a problem he was the first person I would go to. He would always help, he had a heart of gold. He was more like a brother than a best mate."

As the family try to come to terms with what has happened, they have requested some time to grieve. "Mum wants to thank everyone for all the messages of support but we ask that no-one goes to the house and just lets us grieve in piece," said Danny.

"I'd also like to thank all his friends who have been up with mum every day since it happened, especially Charlie, Luke, Bungle, Reggie, Kyle, Dwayne and Manc Dave. It has meant a lot."

Following Colesy's death, a Devon and Cornwall Police spokesperson said: "Due to the unfolding dynamic incident, police deployed a Taser" and later added: "Devon and Cornwall Police are co-operating with the IPCC who are independently investigating this incident, therefore we are currently unable to comment further while further investigations are ongoing."