A man and a pet dog had to be treated for suspected carbon monoxide poisoning following a house fire in Helston yesterday evening.

Crews from Helston and St Keverne fire stations were called just after 7.20pm to Parc an Dower.

They found a house heavily smokelogged and firefighters were forced to wear special breathing equipment to put out a fire involving a chimney. Once the fire was out, the crews aired the house.

A man who had been inside at the time of the fire was treated by co-responders and an ambulance crew.

A pet dog was also given oxygen via an animal mask, after it was rescued by a member of the public.