TWO people had to be treated for effects of smoke inhalation after a flat fire in Porthleven last night.

Firefighters were called to the flat in Peverell Terrace, Porthleven at 10.55pm by one of the occupants who was coughing indicating they had breathed in smoke.

The critical control operator taking the 999 call stayed on the line for over five minutes to confirm that the four occupants of the building had made their way outside to safety.

Two fire appliances including co-responders from Helston and one fire appliance and co-responders from Mullion were sent to the fire in a ground floor flat of a terraced property.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the flat with a thermal imaging camera and extinguished the fire using one hosereel jet. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus also checked the flat on the first floor for fire spread.

Two of the occupants were suffering the effects of smoke inhalation and received oxygen therapy from the ambulance service.

The fire was out by 11.45pm.

Firefighter Todd Hollyoake said: "The caller was unsure of their location and was coughing, indicating that they had breathed in smoke. I was concerned for the safety of all those inside and stayed on the 999 call until I was sure everyone had made it out safely."

A spokesperson for the fire service said that it could have been worse if the occupants hadn't discovered the fire early: "Fires have a devastating effect but thankfully this fire did not end in tragedy.

"The two occupants suffering smoke inhalation were treated at the scene by fire service co-responders and the Ambulance service.

"It was also fortunate that this fire was discovered by the occupants but working smoke alarms fitted in the property would have woken them if the fire had occurred later in the night.

The last fire crew left the scene at 0120hrs.