A garage in Porthleven set fire causing a neighbour ran a hose out of their window to fight the blaze before firefighters showed up.

Just after 7pm on Wednesday (May 9), fire crews were called to put out a fire at the domestic garage on Wheal Rose opposite Porthleven Surgery.

A resident who did not wish to be named told the Packet a loud bang was heard that was thought to be an explosion of some kind, possibly from a gas cylinder.

The resident also said that a nearby neighbour connected a hose to their water mains and started trying to extinguish the fire from out of their window whilst waiting for the fire crews to turn up.

A man was given emergency treatment by fire crews and an ambulance was called after the man suffered from smoke inhalation.

Crews from Helston and Tolvaddon showed showed up to the scene and extinguished the fire with hosereels and jets, using breathing appliances to protect themselves from smoke.

Barriers have now been placed around the burnt out garage to stop people from going inside.

The house to the rear of the garage was damaged by smoke from the blaze.

A spokesperson from the Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: "At 1902hours Critical Control received several repeat calls to a report of a detached garage on fire.

"One appliance from Helston Fire Station and one from Tolvaddon Fire Station along with a Flexi Duty Officer were immediately mobilised.

"On arrival crews found a domestic garage well alight they used two hosereels, covering jet and four breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.

"Crews administered oxygen therapy to male suffering smoke inhalation and an ambulance was requested from the scene. The cause is thought to be accidental."