An elderly man has died following a serious collision in Falmouth last night, police have confirmed. 

The pensioner died from his injuries following the incident in Killigrew Street at around 8.45pm.

It took place close to Day Lewis Pharmacy and All Saints Church, with the road closed from Brook Street up as far as the rugby club roundabout.

Falmouth Packet:

Killigrew Street was shut for more than five hours. 

At one stage the coastguard rescue helicopter landed on the grounds of Falmouth Rugby Club.

A police spokesperson said this lunchtime: "At approximately 8.45pm on Friday 30th November 2018, police were notified of a road traffic collision involving a vehicle and an elderly male pedestrian, in Killigrew Street, Falmouth.

"Sadly, despite the best efforts of paramedics, the male died shortly after arriving at Treliske Hospital."

The man's next of kin has yet to be informed.

A witness said a pedestrian and a car were involved in the collision.

Chloe-Mai Burrows, who lives near the scene, said: "I heard the crash and screaming from my house, but didn't see exactly what happened.

"He didn't look in a good way and the air ambulance was circulating above."

Falmouth Coastguard Rescue Team were called to oversee the landing of the coastguard helicopter Rescue 924 on the rugby field.

A spokesperson said this morning: “It goes without saying that our thoughts go out to the casualty’s family and friends at this sad time.”

The road was shut for more than five hours while police carried out an investigation at the scene.

Officers from the Alliance Roads Policing Team, along with a forensic collision investigator and scenes of crime officer carried out a full examination to establish the cause of the collision.

Police have thanked the public for their patience while Killigrew Street was closed for investigation work and are now asking for anyone who witnessed the collision, or saw a silver Seat Leon driving in the area at the time, to contact them on 101, quoting log number 863 of 30th November 2018.