A boat lover and "true gentleman" with a sense of fun has died following a collision with a car as he walked through Falmouth on Friday.

It is thought 76-year-old John Culver may have been on the way to see friends in the Athenaeum Club, who he often visited on Fridays, when the collision took place in Killigrew Street at around 8.45pm.

However, despite the best efforts of paramedics and the coastguard rescue helicopter, which landed on the grounds of Falmouth Rugby Club and took Mr Culver to the Royal Cornwall Hospital in Truro, he sadly died from his injuries.

Flowers and cards have now been left at the scene of the collision, with friends also paying tribute to a "unique" man.

Falmouth Packet:

Flowers left at the scene in Killigrew Street, Falmouth

Among them has been Victoria Watkinson, who runs the Oddfellows Arms in Quay Hill with her husband Jason, where Mr Culver was a popular customer. She said: "He was unique. He was a true gentleman. I've never met anyone like him and never will again.

"He's got such a big heart and was a real rock to everyone."

At the same time, Mrs Watkinson described him as "funny without even trying."

His sense of fun was summed up when a few years ago the pub regulars and staff teamed up to take part in Falmouth Carnival all dressed as Noddy Holder, as 'Noddies from the Oddies'.

Falmouth Packet:

John Culver leading the 'Noddies from the Oddies' in Falmouth Carnival

"They smashed the mould when they made him," she added.

Until recently Mr Culver lived near to the pub, in New Street. It was here that he met met James Dorer, with both men members of the Harbour Court Flats committee.

"He had a very professional attitude to that and was a great person to have helping out," said Mr Dorer. "He was an old fashioned gentleman, but he was also very companionable and everybody liked him."

They bonded through a shared love of boats and would spend happy afternoons going on 'mini adventures' around the River Fal and Helford, taking it turns to use their boat.

Falmouth Packet:

John Culver on his former boat

Falmouth Packet:

John Culver was a keen sailor

"He went out with other people too - he was always very generous at taking people out on trips in his boat," said Mr Dorer. "For me he was probably my first real mate who I met when I came here to Falmouth."

Mr Culver had recently traded in his boat for a new, smaller one.

He had been a regular at the Oddfellows from when he first moved to Cornwall around 50 years ago, shortly after marrying.

He and his wife moved away to allow him to follow a career in the Rent Officer Service, with his most recent job as chief rent officer for Leicestershire, but following the death of his wife Mr Culver returned to Falmouth in 2012.

He had recently moved to a new bungalow in the town, where he was happy, with Mr Dorer adding: "John was in a very good place recently. He was very cheery. It's all very sad."

He has one daughter, three grandchildren and one great-grandchild.

Police have now issued an appeal for witnesses following the collision, which shut the road for more than five hours while officers from the Alliance Roads Policing Team, along with a forensic collision investigator and scenes of crime officer, carried out a full examination to establish the cause of the collision.

Police have thanked the public for their patience while Killigrew Street was closed for investigation work and are now asking for anyone who witnessed the collision, or saw a silver Seat Leon driving in the area at the time, to contact them on 101, quoting log number 863 of November 30, 2018.