Family's miracle escape as car strikes pole

A FALMOUTH family of four had a miraculous escape on Saturday after their car careered on to the pavement, slicing an electricity pole out of the ground and wedging itself between the pole and a wall.

There were fears at one stage that live overhead wires would set fire to leaking fuel.

Policeman's son David Duckham and his wife, from Longfield, Falmouth, had to climb over to the back seats to get out, the front doors having jammed.

Their two young children Amy and Ben were also in the back.

All four were taken to hospital and later released, Mr Duckham suffering from broken ribs.

The accident happened in Penmere Hill at lunchtime on Saturday after a red Peugeot 205 left the forecourt of Boslowick Garage and collided with Mr Duckham's maroon Montego.

As the Montego hit the pole it sliced four feet off the bottom leaving only power lines above keeping it upright.

A JCB was later brought in before the cables were secured and the pole held steady to allow the car to be towed free.

Power was disconnected to houses in Brook Road and to the garage which was unable to sell petrol or operate the car wash until five hours later. A spokesman said they had lost about £1,000 in turnover during the power break.

De Savary makes £2m 'comeback'

By David Barnicoat

TYCOON Peter de Savary has bounced back into Cornwall with plans to invest £2 million in Falmouth Oil Services and revive his £400 million Hayle project.

Mr de Savary, who has bought a home overlooking the Helford, is relocating his offices to Falmouth at Easter and, in an exclusive interview with the Packet, swept aside national newspaper reports suggesting his business interests were in trouble.

Recently Placeton, formerly the Cornwall Trust, faced a total liability to bankers of £145 million and was said to be in breach of some loan covenants. Bankers were reported to be considering closing down Placeton at any time.

From behind his Churchill-style Havana, Mr de Savary smiled and said: "Do I look worried?"

"Anyone who is in breach of a loan covenant can have a loan pulled. But it's been that way for several years and our relationship with the bank is excellent. There is no possibility of this happening. The banks are very supportive," he added.

Owner of Pescado is arrested

By Stephen Ivall

THE owner of the Pescado fishing boat, which sank with the loss of six lives early in 1991, has been arrested and granted police bail until the New Year.

Mr Alan Ayres, who has always claimed the sinking of the Pescado more than two years ago was caused by a submarine, was interviewed by police at length last week.

The Pescado sank off Dodman Point after leaving Falmouth for Plymouth. She was recovered a few weeks ago and taken into Plymouth for examination at the request of the east Cornwall coroner Mr Alan Bruce, who had asked police to recover the vessel.

Mr Ayres has spent the past two years campaigning for the recovery of the vessel and giving his views as to the reasons behind its sinking.

Investigations of the vessel are understood to have been completed and a file will be sent to the Crown Prosecution Service in due course.

In the meantime four people are being interviewed including Mr Ayres.

No details surrounding the arrests have been given by police but Mr Ayres is understood not to have been surprised.

He said it had been intimated for some time that police wanted to talk to him although he had already given them a full statement in 1991.

He was pleased some action was being taken to establish the reason behind its sinking. Mr Ayres has also spent many months in Falmouth in the past two years. There he held press conferences and showed videos of what he believed to be submarine damage.

The Pescado was recovered from 240 feet of water in a dramatic salvage operation in September costing £220,000.

The vessel was refloated and towed into Devonport Dockyard where forensic tests were carried out.