A coroner’s inquest today has confirmed that Camborne 15-year-old Shakira Pellow died of multiple organ failure after taking MDMA.

Speaking to the Packet after the inquest, Shakira’s mum Rita Hole said: “It’s closure on what actually happened to her.”

DC Aaron Heath gave evidence at the inquest at Truro Magistrates Court describing how Shakira and a group of friends purchased 15 MDMA (ecstasy) tablets from a male on Friday July 6 2018.

He said that she then took three in quick succession before falling unconscious in Pengegon Parc.

She was taken to Treliske Hospital where attempts were made to resuscitate her overnight before she was pronounced dead at 10.15 the following morning.

Three of her friends also required hospital treatment.

DC Heath also noted that two males have been charged with regard to drug offences.

After the inquest, Shakira’s mum Rita went on to say: “It’s destroyed us as a family. Life will never be the same without her. People say it gets easier, move on. We can never move on from this.

“I don’t think I will ever be happy in my life without her in it.”

Evidence from Shakira’s GP, Dr Claire El-Borai from Phoenix surgery, revealed that Shakira had suffered from anxiety and depression and had been admitted to hospital for overdosing on anti-depressants in September 2017 and May 2018.

She was prescribed anti-depressant medication, but had not taken any immediately prior to her death.

A report from Dr William Woodward at Treliske Hospital stated that the amount of MDMA found in Shakira’s system was “Well within the range where toxic effects and even fatalities have been reported.”

Giving evidence at the inquest, mum Rita Hole said: “There was a group of them that used to do this [MDMA] down the park.

“She said to me once she tried it and didn’t like it. I thought I’d educated her well enough to know how dangerous it was.”

Concluding the inquest, coroner Barrie van den Berg said: “Shakira took MDMA tablets after purchasing them in Pengegon Parc. The effect of them upon her was so severe that she died in Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske at 1015 on July 7 2018.

“This was a drug-related death. Can I say before we leave how devastating it is for a family to lose a child. It is an unbearable loss.

“Anyone who’s heard about what happened will have the deepest sympathy.“