A 97-year-old Falmouth woman's funeral has taken place at Penwerris Church.

Betty Martin was born in Falmouth on June 20, 1922, to a Danish father and a mother of Norwegian ancestry.

She was one of six children and the last remaining sibling.

Betty grew up in Falmouth and left school at the age of 14 when she went into service with a local doctor, continuing to work there during World War II, until she married Freddy Martin in 1942 and became a housewife.

Their first child, Betty, was born in 1943 and subsequently she had two sons, Peter and David. Sadly, little Betty pre-deceased her mother.

After the war, the American servicemen left the camp near the Four Winds at Grenville Road and a few young local families broke into the Nissen huts and set up their homes there.

One of these families was Betty and Freddy. They spent four years living at the camp before they moved to their home in Tresawle Road, where Betty was to spend the rest of her life.

Betty had a caring nature and looked after her father during his final days. Later, she cared for her dear husband Freddy, before he passed away in 1984.

Betty was a mother, aunt, granny, great granny and a great great granny.

She was known affectionately by the family as the Big G and Supergran. Everybody received a warm welcome at Betty’s home. She appreciated her good neighbours and they appreciated her.

Betty had six grandchildren, living as far afield as America, France and Australia.

During her 70s and up to her 90th birthday, she spent time both in America where she travelled to New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Florida; and Mexico, where she took up snorkelling; to France and the Isles of Scilly where she met Her Majesty the Queen and the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall.

When Betty could no longer travel abroad, she spent more time at her beloved Penwerris Church and with her church friends and family. Her favourite pastime was cleaning the church brass.

She would walk into town most days, stop for coffee or a chat with friends and then catch the bus home in time for lunch.

Betty managed to get out and about and enjoy her social life until a few weeks before she sadly passed away on July 11.