A man who discovered fire breaking out in his home managed to put it out - but at a cost.

Firefighters arriving from Tolvaddon Fire Station found him suffering from burns, which led to him having to be taken to hospital.

The fire started at a house in Church Road, Pool just before 12.44pm yesterday.

A fire service spokesperson said: "Two appliances from Tolvaddon Community Fire Station and a wholetime officer attended thins incident.

"The fire was out on arrival and one casualty was being treated by ambulance.

"One male casualty suffered burns and was taken to hospital."