TRURO City progressed to the second qualifying round of the FA Cup after a hard fought 2-1 win over Wimborne Town at Treyew Road, writes Cameron Weldon.

City keeper James Hamon saved a 90th minute Tony Lee penalty to secure victory after Stewart Yetton had put Truro in the driving seat midway through the second half.

James Ward had headed the White Tigers in front with a near identical goal to last week's against Farnborough before Sam Bayston quickly equalised for the visitors.

After a rather dull opening ten minutes, Moulayne N’Diaye was fouled on the edge of the area. Will Dean whipped in an inviting cross which was powered home by James Ward for his second goal in as many games.

Wimborne quickly responded and equalised just ten minutes later. Sam Bayston danced through the City backline and fired low into the bottom corner to level the scores.

More chances followed for both sides. Hamon made a superb close range save before Niall Thompson had an effort well saved by Cameron Plain in the Wimborne goal.

Going into the second half Truro started the stronger and should have made it two. Jamie Richards saw an audacious strike go well wide while Will Dean struck the crossbar with a shot from the just outside the box.

City weren’t to be denied for long though as Stewart Yetton tapped the White Tigers in front. The striker latched onto a catastrophic error of misjudgement from Plain which saw the ball bounce over him into the path of Yetton who simply couldn’t miss.

That goal was his 230th in Truro colours as the home side deservedly regained the lead.

Meer moments later Wimborne and their captain Billy Maybury thought they had another equaliser as the Magpies skipper finished at the back post although the referee ruled it out. After a in-depth chat with his linesman the referee decided to disallowed the visitors goal keeping Truro’s lead intact.

Wimborne kept causing the White Tigers problems and were awarded a penalty deep into added time after a foul by Truro captain Jamie Richards. Tony Lee stepped up but saw his penalty superbly pushed away by Hamon. The keeper dived high to his left to keep the shot out and secure Truro’s place in Monday’s second qualifying round draw.

City are back in action just four days later as they welcome Tiverton Town to Treyew Road in the Southern League Cup before entertaining Gosport Borough in the league on Saturday.

Truro: Hamon, Davis, Law, Ward, Mbayo (Garside 45), Richards (c), Dean, Keats, N’Diaye (Yetton 58), Thompson (Rooney 79), Jephcott.

Attendance: 363