The Cornish Pirates opened their 2019/20 season with a narrow 24-20 defeat at London Scottish in their RFU Championship Cup opener.

Alex O'Meara's early try was converted by Will Cargill to give the Pirates the perfect start.

But Lewis Wynne soon replied for the hosts with a try of his own, with Dan Barnes levelling with his conversion.

Cargill slotted a penalty to restore the Pirates' lead early in the second half before Jack Ingall and Josh Barton went over for converted tries for the home side.

AJ Cant and O'Meara replied for the Pirates, but, crucially, these went unconverted to give the hosts a slender one-point lead, before Barnes sealed the win with a late penalty.

Redruth suffered an agonising 12-10 defeat at home to Barnes in National League 2 South. Barnes opened the scoring with an early penalty, before notching three more to go into half-time 12-0 leaders.

But the Reds were on the board five minutes into the second half with an unconverted try, before adding another with 16 minutes to go to seal a losing bonus-point.

It was happier news for Camborne, who held off a challenge from Weston-super-Mare to win 15-14 in their South West Premier game. The Cherry & Whites went ahead through a Rhys Brownfield penalty, before earning a penalty try to go 10-0 up at the break.

The visitors got on the board with a converted try, but Lewis Thomas soon extended the lead when he dived over in the corner, although the conversion was missed.

Weston's full-back went over late on with the conversion taking it to a one-point game, but the hosts held on to secure their second win of the season.

St Ives remain at the foot of the South West 1 West table after they were forced to forfeit their second match on the spin at Crediton.

Falmouth sealed their first win of the Western Counties West season with a bonus-point 26-19 win at home to Wellington. The two sides went in level at 5-5 at the break, with Dan Hubble going over for the Eagles.

Rory Pugh scored the first of his two tries to put the hosts in front after the break, with Kieran Rodda converting.

But Wellington hit back with two converted tries to put the visitors seven points up, only for Falmouth to level the scores with Pugh going over and Rodda adding the extras again, before Nick Carne went over for another seven-point score late on to secure a dramatic win.

Penryn were beaten 12-6 by Teignmouth at the Memorial Ground. The Borough fell 12-3 down at the break, and could only offer a penalty in reply in the second half to make it two defeats on the bounce.

Truro made it 15 points from a possible 15 in Cornwall/Devon with a 32-15 victory at Liskeard-Looe.

Lanner bounced back from last week's crushing defeat at the leaders with a 26-19 win at home to Bude.

Veor are still without a win since promotion, but picked up a bonus point in their 32-28 loss at Exeter Athletic.

Pirates Amateurs earned a 22-15 win at home to Tavistock.

Camborne SoM registered their first win of the Cornwall 1 season in style, winning 55-5 at home to St Just.

Hayle moved three points clear at the top following a 36-17 win at home to Bodmin.

St Agnes moved to fourth after a 20-0 win at Illogan Park.

Helston made it two wins from two in Cornwall 2 with a 13-10 win at home to Stithians.

Redruth Albany are still without a point after losing 86-7 at home to Roseland.