Falmouth sealed their first win of the Western Counties West season with a bonus-point victory at home to Wellington.

The two sides exchanged the lead and pegged each other back on a couple of occasions, but it was the hosts who eventually prevailed when Nick Carne went over late on, with his try being converted by Kieran Rodda.

Rory Pugh scored two of Falmouth’s other three tries while Dan Hubble added the other, with Rodda converting three out of four in total.

Wellington were first to score when Nev Pitman went over midway through the half, before Hubble opened the home side's scoring shortly before the break with an impressive cross field try that went unconverted.

The Eagles turned the tables a few minutes into the second half with a fine breakaway try, with Pugh running from 40 metres to score in the corner. Rodda added the extras with an excellent kicks from the touchline to give the home side a seven-point advantage.

The next 20 minutes or so was largely spent in midfield as both sides struggled to break each other down, but last season's third-placed side were next to score just over ten minutes from time when Cam Venn broke through, with Rob Hooper converting to level the scores.

The Somerset club fell agonisingly short of promotion last season, and they showed their quality that took them to 100 points last term with their third try to take the lead with a few minutes to go. Alex Davey went over with Hooper converting.

Staring at a third straight defeat, the Eagles dug deep and got their rewards with six minutes remaining when they charged down a clearance, with Carne and Pugh combining for the latter to go over, with Rodda converting to level the scores.

The drama wasn't over, however, with Carne intercepting a pass and running to the line with barely two minutes remaining to seal the bonus-point, with Rodda keeping his cool to slot the kick and secure victory.

Falmouth: L Humphreys, D Hubble, R Pugh, C Penry, N Carne, K Rodda, C Bullock; A Searle, A Bullock, O Church, A Vincent, T Vincent, T Spiller (c), T Simmons, T Whittle. Reps: D Burroughs, P Garway-Templeman, M Horton.