Porthleven restaurant Amélie's is to remain closed into November after a devastating fire over the weekend.

Owner Sam Sheffield-Dunstan told the Packet that there was "considerable damage" to the first-floor toilets and kitchen, which would put the restaurant out of action for a number of weeks.

However, she praised the actions of her staff who raised the alarm so quickly.

She said: “It has been a devastating couple of days for Amélie's, but everyone is safe and well.

“The cause of Saturday’s fire is still being determined, and I would personally like to thank all my staff for acting quickly and professionally.

Falmouth Packet:

"We didn't have any customers in the restaurant at the time, and the four members of staff who were present called the fire brigade as soon as smoke was spotted, and the smoke alarm sounded.

“The firefighters were on the scene very quickly, but there is sadly considerable damage to the first-floor toilets and kitchen."

Sam said she had been "overwhelmed" by the messages of support received from the local community, with a local taxi firm offering to help take staff home, an electrician offering his services, and many other businesses in port offering help where they could .

“Rest assured, Amélie's will be back. Once the dust has settled, we will be able to determine exactly how much work is required to repair the damage, and how long this is likely to take.

"We’re currently estimating we’ll be back up and running by the end of November, but will keep customers updated as soon as we know more.

“All our staff will remain Amélie's employees throughout the refurbishment, and will of course continue to be paid. We’re lucky to have such a brilliant team.

“Thank you again to everyone who’s been in touch. We look forward to seeing you all at our reopening party.”

Read more: Fire crews praised for quick actions after fire at Porthleven restaurant