POTENTIALLY deadly odourless gas carbon monoxide was detected leaking into a property in Camborne last night.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service's Critical Control received a call of a carbon monoxide alarm sounding in a property in Basset Street.

A crew from Tolvaddon Community Fire Station was mobilised to investigate just before 8pm. 

On arrival they found high readings of the gas in the property.

It was isolated to the premise until the arrival of Wales & West Utilities to check the property was safe.

The Ambulance Service attended as a precaution to monitor the residents and were left in their care.

The incident was handed over to Wales & West Utilities.

Lee Cotton, Wales & West Utilities gas emergency service manager for Cornwall, said: "We were alerted to reports of a suspected carbon monoxide leak at a property in the Basset Street area of Camborne and immediately sent an engineer to the scene.

"On arrival, our engineer carried out all necessary checks, and turned off the gas supply to the property, making it safe.

"We have advised the owner to arrange for a gas safe registered engineer to come and service their gas appliances. 

“If anyone ever smells gas, thinks they have a gas leak, or suspects carbon monoxide poisoning, they should call us on 0800 111 999 and our engineers will be there to help, day or night.” 

It is estimated that nationally around 40 people die and 4,000 people attend accident and emergency departments because of accidental carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

What is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, poisonous gas produced by incomplete burning of carbon based fuels including gas, oil, wood and coal.

Sources can include cookers, heaters and fire places.

CO poisoning kills 40 people and injures a further 300 every year in the UK.

You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but CO can kill quickly without warning.

What are the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

Early symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning can mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused with food poisoning, viral infections, flu or simple tiredness.


Feeling sick (nausea) and dizziness,

You may also feel tired and confused

Some people are sick (vomit) and have abdominal pain.