A man who died in a suspected industrial incident onboard a boat has been officially named by police.

Conor Moseley, aged 20, was onboard a fishing vessel in Newlyn Harbour at the time of the incident, which took place at around 4.15pm on Friday.

Emergency services were called but Conor, from the Penzance area, was declared to have died at the scene.

He is described on his Facebook page as an apprentice engineer and a former student of Mounts Bay School & Community Sports College.

Friends of Conor have organised a memorial ride and drive to take place on the one-month anniversary of his death, on December 15, meeting at 11.30am at the Station House in Marazion.

Those taking part will travel in convoy to Newlyn with flowers before going on to Land's End and then St Ives, a ride that Conor was said to enjoy.

Donations will be taken for his family.

Officers from the Camborne Local Investigation Team and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency are now carrying out a joint investigation.

The Marine Accident Investigation Branch is also carrying out its own investigation, with a spokesperson confirming: "“A team of inspectors from the MAIB is in Newlyn and is continuing their investigation into the tragic accident.

"The investigation is at a very early stage and the MAIB inspectors are focussed on gathering evidence from the scene.

"Our thoughts are with the deceased’s family at this time."

The MAIB investigates incidents to determine the causes and circumstances, in a bid to prevent any recurrence.

The Health and Safety Executive confirmed yesterday morning that it had made initial enquiries but had since determined the incident was not part of its remit.

Penlee RNLI lifeboat Ivan Ellen was launched later the same day as the incident, to bring home a family member of Conor that had been working out at sea onboard a Newlyn trawler at the time of the tragedy.

A lifeboat spokesperson said: "During the afternoon Newlyn was rocked by the news that a local young man lost his life in a tragic accident working onboard a fishing vessel in the harbour, despite the very best of efforts from our local emergency services.

"At 9.40pm, with Newlyn Harbour Master onboard, Ivan Ellen launched.

"Penlee Lifeboat met with Newlyn beam trawler Billy Rowney five miles SE of Newlyn, transferred the skipper to the lifeboat under very sad circumstances to take him home to his family.

"All the Penlee team would like to take this opportunity to pass on our sincere and heartfelt condolences to family and friends."