Falmouth Town have re-signed defender James Ward after he left Truro City.

Ward ended a three-and-a-half-year stay at Bickland Park in the summer to sign a one-year contract with the White Tigers, but has now returned to Town.

The centre-back scored three goals in 12 starts for the Southern League Premier South side during his five-month spell at Treyew Road.

Ward began his career at Treyew Road, graduating from the club’s youth system before turning a professional contract down in favour of a move abroad, spending two years in the United States where he captained Carson Newman University.

He returned to the UK in 2016 and arrived at Bickland Park, with Westgarth signing the defender on the advice of Ward’s former youth coach and Falmouth Town icon Tommy Matthews.

He went on to make 123 appearances for Town, scoring 16 goals, including a superb hat-trick in a 4-0 victory at Bodmin Town in 2018.

But his most memorable goal was his most recent one in a Falmouth shirt on Easter Monday this year, when he headed in the winning goal in the Cornwall Senior Cup final against defending champions Saltash United, with Town going on to lift the trophy for the first time in 22 years.

READ MORE: Ward's header hands Town their first Senior Cup title for 22 years

Falmouth Packet:

Ward heads home the winning goal in the Cornwall Senior Cup final in April. Picture by Colin Higgs

Ward ended his first spell at Town in June in favour of a move to his boyhood club, then managed by Paul Wilkinson.

The centre-back had a quick reunion with his former side as Truro beat Falmouth 2-1 in the annual Aubrey Wilkes Memorial Trophy match at Treyew Road in July.

Ward went on to make 12 starts for Truro, now managed by Paul Wotton, as they briefly topped the Southern League Premier South table early on, before suffering early exits in both the FA Cup and FA Trophy.

He scored three goals during his spell at Treyew Road, netting his first for the club in a 2-0 win at Farnborough on August 31. He bagged his second in a 2-1 win at home to Wimborne Town in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup seven days later, with his final goal coming in a 2-1 win at home to Hendon in the league on October 19.

His final appearance was in City’s record-equalling Southern League Challenge Cup defeat at Taunton Town on Wednesday night, in which City lost 12-11 on penalties.

The 34-kick shootout equalled the record for the longest shootout in English football. Ward scored his kick to make it 8-7 to the White Tigers.

Falmouth Packet:

Ward wheels away in celebration after scoring his first goal for Truro. Picture by Cameron Weldon

Ward leaves the club with Truro third in the league, two points behind leaders Chesham United with a game in hand. He will remain registered to the White Tigers.

On Ward leaving the club, Wotton told Truro City’s official website: “I'm disappointed, I think James has made the step up in levels seamlessly. I think he's been terrific, but ultimately, it's not for Wardy and he wants to leave.

“We tried really, really hard to keep him but ultimately if players want to leave and don't want to be part of it we have no other option but to let them go and get players who want to be committed.

“But I have to say James has been fantastic for the football club in the short space of time he's been here."

Ward will go straight into the Falmouth squad for the visit of Wadebridge Town in the SWPL Premier West on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).