This week's selection of extracts from The Commercial, Shipping & General Advertiser, The Penryn & Falmouth Advertiser and The Borough Times, supplied by Penryn Museum.

From 1923:

At the monthly meeting of the Penryn Branch of the British Legion a suggestion was brought forward with regard a bier for Penryn. After consideration it was decided to write headquarters and also to ask the local Friendly Societies of the town to assist in introducing a public bier for Penryn. A step to bring into the town a public bier is one of the long-felt desires of the poorer classes.

From 1921:

For the first time since the war Falmouth Customs Quay was recently thronged with German seamen. Clean, well-dressed, and quiet, they came from Germany to make up the crew of a former ex-enemy passenger boat, the Hanover, which, after lying in the River Fal for some time, had been purchased by the German Hamburg-Amerika Line.

A very successful dance was held in the Territorial Drill Hall, Penryn, on Wednesday evening, in aid of the widow of the late Sergt E A Pinch. The hall was tastefully decorated with flags, flowers, etc and specially illuminated.

From 1935:

Cornwall, in common with the rest of the Westcountry, experienced an abnormal rainfall in the past month, and in some places it was the wettest December for many years. The rainfall, as recorded at the observatory at Falmouth was 10.8ins, which has only once been exceeded in the last 70 years; that was in 1915, when for the month the figure was 11.14ins.

From February 1919:

At Penryn Police Court on Tuesday, two lads were fined 40 shillings and 20 shillings respectively for stealing cigarettes, value 7 shillings and sixpence, consigned to Mr T Brimacombe, Penryn, whilst in the custody of the GWR on December 21st. Another lad was fined 5 shillings for stealing sweets to the value of 4 shillings on January 17th from Penryn Station. Another was fined 10 shillings for stealing coal from a cart in Market Street on January 24th.

On Monday evening the Fire Brigade were called out to a small outbreak in a house at the back of The Terrace. The fire had caught a quantity of ivy around the chimney and sparks were falling on buildings near in which there was a large quantity of woodwork. An hour’s good work by the brigade under Capt Thomas and Lieut Curgenven with willing helpers stopped what might have led to serious consequences.