A MAN was jailed today over a hammer attack that left a drug dealer deaf and brain damaged.

Jack Seymour, 20, of Wheal Busy, arranged to buy a quantity of cocaine from his victim and as the deal was taking place the man was hit over the head before Seymour stole the drugs and attempted to sell them on.

The man suffered a fractured skull and internal bleeding. Two years later, he still has intensely painful headaches and struggles with conversation, according to a victim statement.

Seymour's defence maintained that he did not hit the man with a hammer but instead kicked him. Kinsley Sharp, 20, of Praze, also played a role in the assault and admitted causing grievous bodily harm during the incident that took place on July 20, 2017. He is due to be sentenced tomorrow.

Sentencing him today, Judge Robert Linford said that Seymour had tried to “con” a jury by initially denying all charges against him, and that he was “nowhere near as clever as you thought you were” after he implicated himself whilst giving evidence, later admitting one of the drugs charges.

A third man who directed the drug-dealing victim to meet with Kinsley and Seymour, Steven Leverton, 33, of Lowenac Crescent in Connor Downs, was jailed for three years for possession with intent to supply and perverting the cause of justice by changing the PIN on the victim’s phone whilst he was recovering in hospital.

Prosecuting at Truro Crown Court, Philip Lee detailed how Seymour had refused to comment on the incident in two police interviews.

He initially denied two wounding and two drugs charges, and was acquitted by a jury of wounding with intent, but convicted of the other wounding charge.

After inadvertently admitting dealing drugs while giving evidence, Seymour changed his plea for one drugs charge to guilty, and was convicted of the other.

Mr Lee noted that text messages had been produced from Leverton to the victim saying that he had “sorted” Seymour with drugs in the past.

Police found 9.9 grams of above-average purity cocaine in his home.

Leverton also deleted Facebook messages and changed the PIN on the victim’s phone so that police could not access it.

Defending Leverton, Robin Smith spoke about how his client’s defence had been "relentlessly consistent" throughout.

He added that his client had been a “very very different” man at the time of the incident and had been in an “abyss of alcohol and class A drugs”.

Since then, he said, Leverton had engaged with rehabilitation services and was leading a fit and healthy life free from drugs and alcohol.

Defending Seymour, Peter Coombe said that his client has shown remorse and has been sober since 2018.

He is also in a stable relationship and full time employment, and his partner has just given birth.

Mr Coombe added that Seymour was only 18 at the time of the offences.

His client, he said, believed the drug dealer was about to attack him which is why he carried out the assault.

Mr Coombe admitted that Seymour should be punished, but asked that Judge Linford did not make the sentence so long that Seymour “loses hope”.

His parents, he added, are “respectable members of the community” and had attended each day of the trial.

Sentencing Seymour, Judge Linford said: “The victim could have died.

“His victim personal statement said what the effect of your horrible violence has been.

“It probably will be with him for the rest of his life.”

Seymour was jailed for six years, Leverton for three.

They must both also pay a statutory surcharge.