POLICE were twice called to Falmouth Town Football Club on Saturday afternoon after trouble blew up among supporters.

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police told the Packet this morning that officers were first called to the Bickland Park ground at around 3pm to reports of men fighting and one person carrying a flare.

The flare was lit and, police said, one man was removed from the ground for disorderly behaviour.

Police were then called again at around 4.30pm to reports of around a dozen men fighting.

A man was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage after an object was thrown at a car.

Officers used a dispersal order to remove what the police spokesperson called "the trouble element" to diffuse the situation.

The spokesperson said that a 33-year-old man remained in custody and was being interviewed by police this morning.

Match report: Falmouth Town 5-0 St Blazey

Falmouth Town manager Andrew Westgarth said he was left ‘shaken’ as to the events off the pitch that marred his side’s 5-0 win at home to St Blazey.

Play was suspended for nearly five minutes midway through the second half when what appeared to be a visiting supporter let off a green flare amongst the Falmouth Town supporters at the Packet End of the ground and appeared to square up to them.

Three members of the St Blazey team went into the stand to help separate the supporter and ensure he left the ground before play eventually resumed.

Being in possession of a pyrotechnic device at a football match, or attempting to bring a pyrotechnic device into a football stadium, is a criminal offence under the Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc) Act 1985.

Town were fined £800 for their supporters' use of pyrotechnics at two South West Peninsula League games that took place earlier this season.

As it happened: Falmouth Town 5-0 St Blazey

It is the second controversy to follow St Blazey this season, after a spectator entered the field of play and confronted a rival player during their league match at Liskeard Athletic in November.

“I think the actions of today have completely masked over what has been a fantastic result for us,” Westgarth said on Saturday evening.

“I’ve never witnessed anything like I’ve seen today in football in my life. It’s shaken me actually, how bad it was here."

He added: “I thought the F-Troop were excellent today, it’s a real family affair there. I’ve got my sons both there, one’s nine and one’s seven, and they’ve come running to me upset with the antics that have gone on and just the intimidation and lack of regard for anybody in the ground.

“I’m just speechless with what I saw and it shouldn’t be happening at any ground let alone at this level of football. The F-Troop have worked so hard to get a good reputation, we’ve got women, we’ve got kids, we’ve got old people, young people, we’ve got families here.”

In a statement issued this morning, the South West Peninsula Football League said: "The officers of the league are aware and concerned about the incidents at the Falmouth Town v St Blazey match yesterday.

"Our main focus is always that games are played in a safe and enjoyable manner for all, as such we condemn any actions that undermine that aim.

"We are in contact with clubs, the Devon & Cornwall Police and the Cornwall County FA.

"Action against individuals/clubs are up to the respective authorities.

"We strive to ensure lessons are learnt and to ensure watching games is an enjoyable experience for all our communities."

On Sunday night, Falmouth Town FC issued a statement in a tweet, below:

Falmouth Packet: