Fumes fear in blaze at meat factory

More than 70 firemen from all over Cornwall fought to contain highly toxic fumes from reaching housing estates in Falmouth on Tuesday.

As the three-year-old St Merryn Meat factory caught fire just after lunch so other factories on the industrial estate off Bickland Water were evacuated.

Householders were keeping their windows firmly closed.

In the early hours of yesterday as firemen were still damping down at the factory, South West Water issued warning notices to thousands of householders in the area not to drink or cook with tap water until further notice.

Bowser and tanker supplies were being provided in an emergency.

A taste and odour in water supplies led to the move following the fire. Plans were being arranged to flush the mains.

At the factory site two appliances remained on the scene overnight damping down.

At the height of the blaze police and traffic wardens drafted in to control traffic tied handkerchiefs round their faces.

Steam trains set to make a comeback

Talks are underway which could lead to steam trains running once more on the Falmouth branchline.

If so it will give a tremendous boost to local tourism and encourage people to make greater use of the service between the town and Truro.

Train enthusiasts and those in the tourism business will be delighted with the news.

The line is one of many being looked at for steam use in Cornwall and so far talks have been successful.

The line is one of the prettiest and includes some of the region's most famous viaducts from which there are splendid views.

Members of the Carrick economic development committee are due to discuss the matter tonight and are expected to endorse the recommendations of officers that a further report be brought to a future meeting.

Fire hits doughnut line

The whole of West Cornwall was left virtually doughnutless on Monday after an oven flue at WC Rowe's Penryn-based bakery caught fire in the early hours of the morning.

Two appliances from Falmouth fire station were to to the Kernick Industrial Estate just after 4am when the ovens went on-line for the day's baking.

It is believed a small amount of fat in one of the flues caught fire.

Production manager Roger Day said the incident stopped 2,000 doughnuts from reaching their 12 outlets and selected wholesalers.

Despite the problems the incident proved a piece of cake for Falmouth's firefighters, who used four breathing apparatus and a hose reel to extinguish the blaze.