A PERSON was rescued by firefighters from a home in Penzance this morning.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said it received a call shortly before 5am on Sunday from a member of the public to say that they could hear a fire alarm sounding inside a neighbour's property in Clarence Street.

Two fire engines from Penzance and one from St Just, along with an officer, were sent to the scene.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "Firefighters forced entry into the property and rescued the occupant. One hose reel jet and two breathing apparatus were used to extinguish a small pan fire."

An ambulance crew also attended.

Following the incident, the fire service reminded people that most kitchen fires occur when people are distracted or leave things unattended.

It urged householders to remember:

- if you're called away from the cooker – by the phone or someone at the door, for example – take pans off the heat

- don't let yourself be distracted while cooking

- don't cook if you're affected by alcohol or prescription drugs

- turn saucepans so that their handles don't stick out (and aren't over another ring)

- don't put oven gloves or tea-towels down onto the hot cooker after you've used them

- clean your grill pan after using it.