Falmouth 34, Helston 12

FALMOUTH scored five tries in their victory at home to Helston, although they had to wait until the dying minutes to secure the points.

Falmouth got the first try early on when scrum half Adam Laity followed up his own kick and cleverly gathered to touch down for full back Keith Biggins, who had opened the scoring with a penalty, to convert.

Helston fly half David Lockwood replied with a penalty goal, before opposite number John Sweeney set up prop Mark Cocking to cross in the corner.

Roger Charlton was next to go over for Falmouth, with his effort being converted by Biggins, before another Lockwood penalty made it 22-6 to the home side at the break.

Lockwood brought Helston back into the game in the second half with two penalties, but a solid home defence allowed Falmouth to increase their lead late on.

Ken Whitfield ran the length of the pitch before earning a scrum, from which he was able to dot down and secure victory.

Falmouth weren’t done and won possession from the kick off, with skipper Kevin Hughes crashing over for the fifth and final try.

Falmouth Tn 2, Liskeard 2

FALMOUTH Town staged a dramatic finale to their Cornwall Senior Cup semi-final against Liskeard at St Austell to earn a second crack at the Great Mills League side.

The CCFA have scheduled the replay for Thursday, April 6, a date which raised a few eyebrows in Town’s quarters as it comes just 48 hours after their Jewson SWL Cup semi-final.

However, if Town had taken the chances that came their way there would have been no need for a replay.

A defensive error allowed Martin Sullivan to give Liskeard the lead from the penalty spot before Andy Street levelled with a fine shot from just inside the box.

It looked ominous for Town after 72 minutes when Liskeard regained the lead, Micky Fallon’s speculative shot out of nothing hitting the underside of the bar before going in.

Time looked to be running out for Town, but with three minutes to go substitute Mark Rapsey was fouled on the bottom side of the pitch.

Mark Rowe floated a free kick into a crowded penalty area and, under pressure, goalkeeper Ian Baker punched the ball into his own goal.

Combe Down 28, Penryn 10

PENRYN fielded a much stronger team for their visit to Bath for the game against Combe Down in their bid to stay in South West Division II, but things did not go well as the Borough sustained their ninth league defeat in 11 games.

Penryn went into the break 14-3 down, courtesy of full back Anthony Penrose’s penalty goal, with lock John King scoring their sole consolation try late on, with Penrose adding the extras.