Falmouth Town 2, Penryn Athletic 1 – Walter C Parson League Cup, September 2015

BRAGGING rights went to Falmouth Town as they beat local rivals Penryn Athletic in the Walter C Parson Cup on Friday night.

Goals from Rob Wearne and Glen Squires in the second half proved to be decisive at Bickland Park as the South West Peninsula League Premier side defeated their West division neighbours 2-1 in the competition's first round.

David Leach, making his competitive return to the Athletic squad after breaking his leg earlier this year, got a late consolation goal for the visitors.

Exchanges in the first half were quite even with neither side finding the necessary skills to make a breakthrough.

Athletic had plenty of space to play the passing style of football which has brought them success in recent years, but they could only create one half chance before half time through a Dave Broglino shot.

Town on the other hand looked a bit more lacklustre, although their player-manager Andrew Westgarth had a half chance for them before the interval.

However, in the second half the hosts look far more spritely and just four minutes after the restart the deadlock was broken as recent signing Mark Hollands sent a cross to Wearne at the far post to head past Chris Symons.

Kevin Lawrence came close to equalising for the visitors soon after only to see his shot tipped over the bar by Ryan Barnes.

Symons was called into action again at the other end of the field as he managed to prevent an own goal, scooping the ball away from the line just in time.

The game was becoming more end-to-end now and next up to have a shot saved was Broglino as Barnes used his feet to prevent the striker's effort from levelling proceedings.

Then in the 65th minute, the winning goal came for Town as Squires hit his seventh strike of the season, sending a half volley at the far post into the net.

A couple of substitutes were thrown on for Athletic as they looked to get anything they could from the cup game and one of the replacements was Leach, appearing for the first time since breaking his leg during training towards the end of last season.

His return had a successful end to it as the 17-year-old forward got on the end of a cross from Lawrence to steer the ball in and give some joy to the away side.

In the second round on October 17, Town will play Helston Athletic who themselves won a derby clash at Porthleven 1-0 to progress.

Falmouth: Barnes, Wormington (Clarke 73), Hollands, Whipp, Cooper (c), Pope, Wearne, Smith (Killen 65), Squires, Westgarth, Westlake (Tripconey 46). Subs (unused): Reed, Fearne.

Penryn: Symons, Blizzard, Moody, Harris, Oliver (c), Martt, Brabyn, Reeve (Hobbs 75), Palmer (Leach 90), Broglino, Lawrence. Subs (unused): Harding, Moore.