Penryn 43, Banbury 14

PENRYN enjoyed their biggest win of the season at home to Banbury, but it was not enough to spare them from relegation from South West League Division II.

Full back Tony Penrose kicked Penryn in front early on before converting two quickfire tries from number eight Paul Trevaskis to give the hosts a commanding 17-0 lead at the break.

Trevaskis completed his hat-trick in the second half before flanker Martyn Addinall added a fourth and prop Andy Day bagged a fifth, with the latter two being converted by Penrose.

Max Spurgeon and Paul Jackson responded for the visitors with a try apiece, both being converted by David Hebden, before prop Malcolm Coulls landed the hosts’ sixth and final try.

Helston 1, Penryn Ath 3

PENRYN Athletic’s pursuit of the Jolly’s Combination League title continued at Kellaway Park where they ran out 3-1 winners after a competent display.

Facing the home side playing with a strong wind at their backs, Penryn found Helston a lively outfit who had a fair share of the game in the opening half.

Immediately after half-time Helston’s young ‘keeper Paul Hodges fumbled Jerry Cornish’s snapshot allowing Andy Stivey to pick up the loose ball and walk it into the net.

In the 65th minute Cornish whipped in a short near post cross which Hodges was unable to prevent entering his top left-hand corner of the net.

A minute later, under more pressure, the young ‘keeper dropped another cross which gave Ian Penrose an easy chance to make it three.

Helston were still battling away as Chris Symons saved from James Eddy before young David Phillips struck a fine consolation goal for the home side.

Stithians 0, Falmouth 28

FALMOUTH enjoyed a comfortable victory on their visit to Stithians in their Cornwall League Division I game, keeping a clean sheet in the process.

Falmouth made the most of the running in the early stages and it was no surprise when number eight Ken Whitfield crossed for a try.

A regular scorer in recent weeks, Ben Laity crossed for the second try and before half-time scrum-half brother Adam scored the third try to give Falmouth a useful 15-0 interval lead.

Early in the second half full back Keith Biggins kicked a penalty goal and then followed with his second try in successive games. Flanker David Roberts scored the final try after a strong burst.