Porthleven 6, Dobwalls 2 - South West Peninsula League, March 2008

SEVEN days previously Porthleven produced a dismal performance in beating Camelford 2-0, but on Saturday it was a display full of pomp and circumstance that ripped the heart out of visiting Dobwalls.

On a pitch that was in pristine condition and a credit to groundsman Derek Richards, Porthleven took full advantage of the immaculate surface to race to a victory that put them 11 points clear at the top of the table.

They also had the bonus of Andy Westgarth being included in the starting line-up for the first time since the first week in January and James Miller back in the side after his injury.

The only downside to the game was the dismissal of midfielder Steve Warr. He gave a man-of-the-match performance, but was red carded for two bookable offences.

A significant name excluded from the line up was goalkeeper Steve Taylor. He is going to be unavailable and was replaced by Luke Payne who gave another sound performance.

Payne saw some early action when saving well from Dan Tapper’s free kick, but inside three minutes Port were in front when a corner by Mark Hollands was cleared only as far as the edge of the area where Mike Davies unleashed a terrific volley that flew past goalkeeper following a slight deflection.

Payne came to Port’s rescue when Martin Hake had a half chance, but the ’keeper raced out to clear the danger with his feet.

A second goal came after ten minutes when the ’keeper fumbled a good run and cross by Miller. Westgarth was in the right place to snap up the loose ball and stab it into the net and his delight showed.

There was no respite for Dobwalls and in the 15th minute they found themselves 3-0 down when Dobwalls failed to clear a Holland corner and Westgarth got on the end of it to hammer the ball into the net.

Dobwalls showed plenty of spirit and forced a corner which Tapper saw Jamie Burr head away on the goal-line.

It was all over for the visitors in the 28th minute when the Fishermen scored a fourth goal. Warr began the move to set Matt Fox free on a run and from a great delivery into the box Westgarth headed in.

Dobwalls could have found themselves in even deeper trouble, but Nick Souness kicked a goalbound effort off the line and Miller drove over with a shot on the turn when well placed.

Five minutes into the second half Dobwalls pulled a goal back after Payne had made a brilliant save from Jack Bartlett. The ball went loose and Lee Caers pounced to hammer in the loose ball.

Port responded with Davies having a shot cleared off the line by Souness and Miller sending a shot whistling over the bar.

Another goal was always on the cards and in the 70th minute Davies’ corner was headed in by Glenn Rogers at the far post.

The referee’s dislike of a tackle by Warr saw him dismissed two minutes later and a minute after that Dobwalls netted another goal when poor defending allowed Hake to hammer the ball past Payne.

Port weren’t done just yet and ten minutes from time they completed the scoring when Thwaites picked up Fox’s cross and beat the ’keeper with a fine chip shot into the corner of the net.

Porthleven: L Payne, M Holland, M Day, H Howlett, J Miller, J Burr, N Thwaites, S Warr, A Westgarth, M Davies, M Fox. Subs: D Herring, G Rogers, S Rogers, S Brewer, S Taylor.