Helston Athletic 3, Saltash United 0 – SWPL Premier, January 2016

MARK Goldsworthy passed the 200- goal mark in the South West Peninsula League in just four and a half seasons with a superb centre forward display at Kellaway Parc on Saturday.

While many of the players slipped and slid their way around a gloopy surface, at times Goldsworthy appeared to have brought his own patch of grass to play on.

His touch was for the most part immaculate, his pace shredded the Saltash defence on numerous occasions and of course, he scored two more goals to take his tally for the club to 299.

Goldsworthy was not the only blue-shirted player to impress though. Lewis Ellis was combative and composed at right back, Gary Bell was tireless in the heart of midfield and the energy and delivery from Tom Russell, particularly in the first half, left the Ashes a well beaten side.

Goldsworthy opened the scoring after 10 minutes when Jamie Thirkle broke down the left and squared for him to side-foot high into the net.

A smart exchange between Russell and Goldsworthy then enabled the latter to dart in on goal but the ball just ran away from him, enabling keeper Simon May to pounce.

Midway through the half Phil Cattran should have scored after being teed up by Kirk Davis, but with a clear sight of goal he dragged his left foot shot wide.

A rare foray from the visitors saw Chris Wright’s goalbound shot hit his own player, before Helston’s enterprise on the ball should have brought a second.

They did not have to wait long before they doubled their lead, however.

Goldsworthy streaked away down the left and fizzed in an intended cross from an acute angle that found just about the only part of the goal that May was unable to reach. Fortunate yes, but nothing more than Helston deserved.

The only bad news for the hosts in the first half was the injury suffered by Cattran, who suffered a broken collarbone after an awkward collision with Saltash midfielder Dave Trott.

Thirkle had a good chance to kill off the game early in the second half but he lashed his shot wide following an assist from Goldsworthy.

Helston’s Vardy was at it again moments later, skipping away from two challenges down the left before cutting inside and being bundled over.

The referee played a good advantage as the ball fell to substitute Steve Jenkin, but he sliced well wide from 20 yards.

Saltash began to piece together some better football but any hopes of an unlikely reprieve were snuffed out on 70 minutes.

Substitute Matt Fox capitalised on a wayward crossfield pass and raced clear, rounding the keeper and slotted home the third.

Goldsworthy was then unceremoniously hacked down 30 yards out and from the resulting free kick, Hughie Howlett’s fierce drive was brilliantly tipped away by May.

With all other games in the league called off, Helston leapt four spaces into seventh spot, having recorded their ninth victory of the season.

Helston: B-J Wyatt, L Ellis, B Stidwell, H Howlett, K Davis, T Russell, G Bell, J Adlard (S Jenkin 55m), J Thirkle (D Stidwell 80m), P Cattran (M Fox 45m), M Goldsworthy.