Peace and quiet 'shattered' claim

THOUSANDS of sunbathers on Falmouth's Gyllyngvase beach had their peace and quiet shattered by a team of workmen clearing seaweed, it was claimed this week.

As the town enjoys a better-than-usual holiday season, tourism bosses are hot under the collar about he "ill-timed" clear-up on Monday afternoon. Carrick-council employed contractors laboured for three hours with a mechanical digger to remove rotting weed, loading it on to two lorries for dumping. Swanpool and Castle beaches were also cleared.

Two weeks ago, sewage on Gyllyngvase beach caused tourism top people to lose their cool. Temporary signs warning of pollution had to be erected for a day.

Brian Watmore, proprietor of the Rosemary hotel in Gyllyngvase Terrace, said his guests had complained about the noisy clear-up. "The damage has been done. They will not remember the seaweed - they will remember being disturbed," he said.

John Draper, of the Gyllyngvase Beach Restaurant, said half-a-dozen visitors had left the beach in disgust.

However, Brian Wills, who runs Castle Beach Cade, said he was very happy with the way the seaweed had been disposed of from Castle Beach.

John Hewitt, head of service contracts at Carrick, said the council could not win. There were complaints about mushy seaweed full of maggots, and then complaints about cleaning. The time of Monday's high tides meant that machinery "regrettably" had to be used during the day. The United Downs tip was closed at night.

'I owe my life to these lads'

A FALMOUTH man who was plucked from the sea thinking he was about to drown went off to thank his rescuers this week.

"I owe my life to these lads," said 77-year-old Ken Davies, Commodore of the Falmouth Town Sailing Yacht.

Ken's yacht, the lasgair, sank under him off St Anthony Head early last month. The converted wooden fishing trawler went down in 20 seconds once he realised what was happening and nearly took Ken with it. He found himself caught between the shrouds and the wheelhouse as he put his lifejacket on.

Sitting in the crew room of 771 search and rescue squadron at Culdrose this week, Ken said: "Thank goodness they arrived when they did."