ROSS Duncan scored twice as Porthleven earned a 3-1 victory at home to St Day in their latest pre-season friendly.

Duncan’s strike midway through the first half separated the sides at the break before Kyle Fraser doubled the advantage early in the second half.

Duncan headed home a third with ten minutes to go before the visitors earned a deserved consolation from the penalty spot in injury time.

St Day were the better side in the opening few minutes and tested goalkeeper Martyn Webster on two occasions early on, before Duncan thought he had opened the scoring at the other end only to see the offside flag go up.

The lively striker then pounced on a weak backpass and raced in on goal, but was denied by the youthful Saints ‘keeper.

AS IT HAPPENED: Porthleven 3-1 St Day

That sparked a period of pressure for the hosts as Jake Harrison and Dan Quirke were both denied by the ‘keeper before Duncan deservedly grabbed the first goal on 27 minutes when he steered home Fraser’s low cross from eight yards.

Dan Richardson came close to making it two soon after before Tyler Oliver shot inches wide on two occasions for the Saints just before the break.

The St Piran League side were much the better team early in the second half but could not find a way past Webster, although they almost did so when Kyle Marks’ deflected effort flew past the wrongfooted ‘keeper, but rolled just wide of the far post.

The Fishermen made their opponents pay for that as they doubled their lead against the run of play on 55 minutes, with Duncan turning provider with a fantastic through ball towards Fraser on the left flank. The forward saw his first effort blocked but smashed the rebound home from a tight angle.

Marks almost hauled the Saints back into it immediately but saw his strike thunder off the underside of Webster’s crossbar and to safety.

The pace of the game dropped as the Fishermen looked to close out the win, with substitute Kayne Trevaskis coming agonisingly close to turning in Duncan’s cross shortly after the latter had tested the ‘keeper from the edge of the box.

But the impressive Duncan soon secured his second of the game, and it was that partnership again as the striker rose to meet Fraser’s corner and powered the ball home ten minutes from time.

The Saints secured a consolation goal for their efforts late on, with their striker sending Webster the wrong way from the spot in the first minute of injury time.

Porthleven: M Webster, B Edwards, M Laithwaite, J Harrison, D Lord, J Thomson, D Richardson, C Young, K Fraser, D Quirke, R Duncan. Subs: E Estall, G Molcher, E O’Brien, S Leslie, G Mills, K Trevaskis.