HELSTON Athletic began the 2020/21 South West Peninsula League season in style with a 5-0 hammering of Wadebridge Town on Saturday.

The Blues, tipped by many to finish the job they started during the ill-fated 2019/20 season and win promotion, opened the scoring at Kellaway Park in the 21st minute when a Wadebridge man flicked Matt Bye's cross into his own net.

Billy Tucker made it two a few minutes later with a fine solo effort, controlling Ryan Beattie's long ball, beating his man at the byline and driving the ball past the 'keeper from six yards.

All of a sudden it was three as the Blues regained possession from the restart, with Tucker laying the ball off to Mark Goldsworthy in the box, who squared for Matt Buchan to score from close range.

Tucker was on the scoresheet ten minutes into the second half, racing to meet Liam Short's long ball and firing it into the top corner, before Goldsworthy rounded off the scoring on the hour when he tucked home from Neil Slateford's pass.

Falmouth Town brushed off a wobbly start to the season to record a fine 6-1 win at Callington Town.

Their wobbly start came around two hours before kick-off as their bus broke down en route to Callington, with a quick change of transport required to get the team to east Cornwall.

But any fears of poor preparation were quickly allayed as Town scored five before half-time.

Luke Brabyn and David Broglino scored two goals each for Town, with Luke Barner and TJ Walter also getting on the scoresheet, while Lee Hawkins replied for Cally.

Wendron United fought back to earn an excellent point at St Austell in a six-goal thriller at Poltair Park.

Dron boss Jack Greenwood may have been fearing the worst as the youthful Lillywhites went two goals up after six minutes courtesy of Chris Kilbey's penalty and Cam Bidgood's strike.

But captain Scott Palmer pulled one back for the visitors before Harvey Hann restored St Austell's two-goal lead, only for Cameron Wheat to score twice on his second Dron debut to make it 3-3 at the break, and it would stay that way at full-time.

Porthleven suffered a poor start to their campaign, losing 4-1 at home to Sticker.

The Sticky found themselves 3-0 up after just 17 minutes thanks to goals from Sonny Dover, Derrick Lucas and Frank McAvoy, and while Dan Quirke pulled one back for Port on 30 minutes, a second from Lucas just before the hour ensured victory.

Saltash United enjoyed a 3-1 victory at home to St Blazey. Mike Smith gave the Ashes the lead before Jack Alexander levelled almost instantly, with Shaun Cleary and Smith scoring late in the first half.

Amara Bakayoko scored a hat-trick as Mousehole started the campaign with an 8-0 win at Launceston. Tallan Mitchell and Kieran Toland scored two goals apiece and Hayden Turner also got on the scoresheet for the rampant Seagulls.

Camelford held off a stern challenge to win 3-2 at St Dennis. Josh McCabe and Adam Sleep put the Camels two up at the the break before an own goal allowed the hosts back into the game, but Ed Harrison's strike sealed the points despite Carl Rickard's goal for the Saints.

Elsewhere, Newquay won 4-1 against Penzance in a match played at Godolphin Atlantic following storm damage to the Peppermints' ground, with Godolphin themselves losing 6-2 at Dobwalls.

Liskeard Athletic pulled off a surprise 3-1 win at home to Bodmin Town in the curtain-raiser on Friday night. James Lorenz scored twice for Liskeard with Thomas Cleveland netting the other, while Dan Jennings, who was later sent off, scored Bodmin's goal.