HELSTON Athletic put five goals past Wendron United to make it three wins from three this season – but they were made to work for it by their determined hosts.

Mark Goldsworthy opened the scoring before Helston threatened to run away with it after quickfire goals from Billy Tucker and Matt Buchan, only for Jack Stocker to pull one back from the spot before the break.

Olly Brokenshire restored the three-goal gap in the second half before Joe Chapman’s fine strike made it 4-2, with Goldsworthy finally making sure of the points for the Blues with 13 minutes to play.

The Blues were looking for a 26th consecutive league victory in a run that stretches back to August 21, 2019. Helston won 2-1 at home to Wendron United that night, but could Jack Greenwood’s side be the team to end that run?

Not if the first quarter of the game was anything to go by as Helston muscled their way into a 3-0 lead. Buchan headed over while Tucker was denied by a super challenge from Dan Tarrant before the opening goal did arrive on 18 minutes.

Will Tinsley’s cross was flicked on at the byline by Buchan, with it falling kindly for strike partner Goldsworthy to take a touch before firing into the corner on the turn.

Kian Thomas drew a save out of Jason Robertson almost immediately from kick-off as Wendron looked to respond, but the next meaningful action saw Helston double their lead on 25 minutes. Buchan's curling effort was tipped away from the bottom corner by Ethan Elwell but Tucker was on hand to smash in from six yards.

The Blues had their tails up as Goldsworthy smashed a shot against the crossbar moments after the restart, and you hardly had time to catch your breath before Buchan made it 3-0 a minute later, beautifully flicking Neil Slateford's cross past Elwell at the near post.

But just as it felt like Wendron’s race may have been run already, they were thrown a lifeline only another two minutes later when Thomas was brought down inside the box, with Stocker sending Robertson the wrong way from the spot.

Helston retained control of proceedings, but it was Wendron who missed a golden chance to pull another back before the break. Chapman's hanging cross was flicked towards the unmarked Thomas at the back post, but the youngster skewed the effort well over the bar.

The Blues regrouped at the break and came out firing with Buchan and Tucker coming close before Brokenshire restored Helston’s three-goal cushion, firing through a crowded six-yard box in the 54th minute.

But the Goats were not giving up and got their reward on the hour as Chapman hauled his side back into it with a fine individual strike. The midfielder, playing at left-back on the evening, cut in from the left flank and let rip from the edge of the box, arrowing a wonderful effort past Robertson and into the bottom corner.

Back came Helston as Goldsworthy almost managed to flick a cross past Elwell before Tucker fired inches wide following a fine solo effort on the right flank.

But the game was finally up with 13 minutes to play as Steve Massey’s side got their fifth of the night. A missed interception allowed Tinsley the time and the space to send a low cross for Goldsworthy to shoot past Elwell from six yards.

Thomas was denied by Robertson as Wendron pressed for another goal, but the next one should have gone to Helston two minutes from time when an advantage saw the Blues stride forward. The ball ended up with Goldsworthy but he saw his effort – and hopes of a hat-trick – cleared off the line.

Wendron: E Elwell, J Chapman, F Robinson, D Tarrant, R Tetley, B Ringrose, J Stocker, L Potts, H Roberts, K Thomas, J Noy. Subs: S Palmer, S Young, D Swire, A Prynn, D Stedman.

Helston: J Robertson, W Tinsley, L Short, R Beattie, D Mulready, O Brokenshire, N Slateford, M Bye, B Tucker, M Goldsworthy, M Buchan. Subs: J Dingle, P Cattran, E Timmons, K Marks, L Tonkin.