Truro City kicked off the new season in excellent fashion after a late strike from substitute Rocky Neal earned the White Tigers all three points against Harrow Borough, writes Cameron Weldon.

The returning striker scored the only goal of the game as he curled in an effort low into the bottom corner to give Paul Wotton’s men a winning start to the new campaign.

Playing their first competitive match in over six months, Truro started the new season like they finished the last, playing some great football and dominating the proceedings.

City were on the front foot from the off but failed to find the all-important breakthrough. Midfielder Ryan Dickson fired over an effort from close range after some good build up play from Niall Thompson before Alex Battle forced the visiting keeper into a smart save.

Last season’s top scorer and main marksman Tyler Harvey then had two headers go begging as frustrations started to grow for the home side.

Former Plymouth Argyle playmaker Dan Rooney was causing problems throughout and saw a good opportunity blocked just before the break as the sides went into the break level.

It was a similar affair at the start of the second half, with plenty of chances not being taken by the home sides. Thompson made an excellent darting run down the wing before putting in a delightful cross which both Harvey and Battle were inches from connecting with but missed just out on.

Truro keeper James Hamon, who had a relatively quiet afternoon, had to be alert on occasions and was forced to push a shot away for a corner at the near post.

Wotton then turned to his bench in an attempt to break the deadlock. He introduced Neal and Rio Garside to the fray as they looked for that elusive goal.

It turned out to be a dream decision by the City boss as just five minutes later Neal was celebrating. The striker, who returned to the club from Taunton Town in the summer after two years away, was played the ball on the edge of the area by Rooney and he cut inside and fired low into the bottom corner to give us a deserved lead, marking his return with a goal.

Neal very nearly had another in the dying embers. Harvey worked hard to chase the ball down, before finding Neal who this time lacked the composure and fired his shot over the crossbar.

A perfect start for Truro who now travel to Hendon on Saturday looking to continue their excellent start.

Truro: Hamon, Thompson, Riley-Lowe, Palmer, White, Richards (c), Dickson (Garside 66), Brett, D Rooney, Harvey, Battle (Neal 66)