TWO unconscious people were rescued by firefighters from a smoke-filled flat on Tuesday night.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said that crews from Penzance and St Just were sent to the home in Newlyn after receiving a report of a burning smell coming from an upstairs flat at around 10.15pm.

A spokesperson for the fire service said: "On arrival crews gained entry to the affected flat and discovered a smoke-logged property.

"Firefighters using breathing apparatus entered the flat and found two persons unconscious. They were rescued from the property and given first aid by the crew until an ambulance arrived.

"A small fire on a cooker was extinguished, both persons were left in the care of South Western Ambulance Service."