FALMOUTH Town moved level on points with Mousehole at the top of the South West Peninsula League Premier West after they beat Newquay 2-1 at Bickland Park on Wednesday night.

Tom Shepherd’s super strike gave Newquay the lead against the run of play, but goals from David Broglino and Ryan Martt turned the game on its head before the break, with Town holding on for all three points despite a strong second-half performance from the Peppermints.

Only goal difference separates Town and leaders Mousehole, with the Seagulls +35 tally leaving them four goals better off.

Town enjoyed the better start to the game but couldn’t grab a goal for their hard work. James Ward perhaps should have done better with a free header at goal before Brabyn teed up Barner to fire a tame shot at goalkeeper Harry Ashton.

Town were screaming for a penalty when Barner went down under Ashton's challenge when through on goal, but the referee waved away the appeals to the dismay of the home dugout and supporters.

That came back to bite them as Newquay opening the scoring against the run of play in the 18th minute in sensational style. The ball was laid off to Shepherd on the edge of the Town box, and the Peppermints midfielder proceeded to curl the ball out of the reach of Ryan Barnes and into the far corner.

But Town weren’t behind for long and were back on terms six minutes later. A Town attack was kept alive on the right by Barner, whose low cross found the unmarked Broglino ten yards out, and the midfielder had all the time in the world to guide the ball into the bottom corner and bag his tenth goal of the campaign.

Barner had been the star so far on the right flank, but Brabyn was starting to cause problems on the other side and it was through his work that Town edged in front ten minutes before the break. The forward clipped a cute cross in from the edge of the box for Martt, who had acres of space to head the ball into the bottom corner from six yards.

The visitors came out quicker after the break with substitute Alex Coley coming close with an effort before fellow sub Callum Mconie thundered the ball against the crossbar from distance.

Aside from a Brabyn shot that was saved by Ashton, Town spent much of the second half in defensive mode as they tried to keep out the Peppermints, but they missed a golden chance to extend their lead when Tom Annear’s free-kick was parried towards Barner by Ashton, but the Town man could only blaze the ball over the bar.

All of a sudden Town were looking likelier to score as the game entered the final ten minutes, with Toby Clark’s diving header flying inches wide before Broglino stung the palms of Ashton with a fierce strike from distance.

Newquay threatened to find an equaliser late on but Town held out to record their ninth win from 12 games so far this campaign.

Falmouth: R Barnes, K Davies (D Blizzard 69), T Annear, R Martt (J Bowyer 74), T Clark, J Ward, L Brabyn, S Kellow, D Broglino, L Brabyn, T Walter (O Moody 69). Subs (unused): R Carroll, R Talbot.