One of the main areas of Cornwall's biggest hospital had to be evacuated this morning after a fire broke out.

Shortly after 9.30am staff at the Royal Cornwall Hospital at Treliske, Truro reported an automatic fire alarm had activated in the Tower Block of the hospital.

A crew from Truro Fire Station was sent immediately and on arrival the incident commander called for a further three appliances, due to smoke coming from a room in the building.

Meanwhile staff from the hospital followed procedures and carried out an evacuation of the building, when it was confirmed that everyone was accounted for.

Staff and patient were moved to another part of the hospital while firefighters entered the building to investigate, found the fire and used CO2 extinguishers.

A spokesperson for Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said: "Treliske Hospital is one of our largest and most complex buildings in the county.

"The attendance of multiple appliances provides additional crew and equipment to prepare for, but also to prevent, escalation.

"Two fire officers also attended to provide incident command support."

Just before 10am the incident commander sent a message to the Critical Control Centre saying the fire was believed to be out, but firefighters were still investigating to ensure no further areas of fire.

The firefighters also used small tools to aid ventilation of the affected area.

An update was given at 10.30am to say firefighters were still at scene and investigating further fire alarms going off in the Tower Block.

At this time it was believed they were being activated due to smoke from the incident.

By 11am crews had started to leave the incident.

All fire alarms in the surrounding area had been confirmed as being activated by smoke from this incident.

A fire service spokesperson said: "An initial fire investigation is being done.

"The cause has been classed as accidental and the fire was confined to a small area."

A hospital spokesperson said: “A small fire in a side room of a ground floor ward in the Tower Block at the Royal Cornwall Hospital has been extinguished.

"Our staff responded quickly and calmly to the incident and patients from the ward were safely moved to other parts of the hospital whilst fire fighters attended, put out the fire and thoroughly checked the building.

“The cause of the fire is being investigated and we are working to get the ward back into use once all safety checks and cleaning have been completed.”