THE RNLI has renewed its warning to beachgoers to stay away from the shore as huge waves continue to batter the Cornish Coast.

The call comes after a family were swept into the sea at Godrevey and beachgoers were knocked off their feet by high surges at Treyarnon beach.

The incident has led the RNLI to renew its safety messages for those visiting the coast over the next few days to stay well back from the water’s edge to avoid being caught out.

Speaking about the incident at Godrevy yesterday afternoon, Tom Mansell, RNLI Lead Lifesaving manager said; ‘We have been experiencing massive swell hitting the coast and there have been a huge number of interventions made by lifeguards to keep the public safe.

"This was a fantastic multi agency effort which included our colleagues in the emergency services as well as many members of the public.

"These conditions are likely to continue for the next couple of days and we’re urge anyone visiting the beach or the coastline to stand well back from the sea with large surges of water caused by the swell catching people out.

"Footage from RNLI lifeguards patrolling Treyarnon beach in Cornwall show how a powerful surge swept walkers off their feet. Thankfully everyone was ok, but it illustrates how quickly the sea can catch you out.’


Family dragged into sea by huge wave at Gwithian

Among the emergency services involved in the rescue at Godrevy yesterday St Ives RNLI lifeboat, Portreath Coastguard Rescue Team, Cornwall Air Ambulance, South West Ambulance Service and Coastguard helicopter Rescue 194.

The lifeguards were alerted to the incident by Falmouth Coastguard and responded immediately from neighbouring Gwithian where they had been flying the red flag all day due to the heavy swell and surging waves.

Barney Stevens launched the Rescue Water Craft through the huge breaking surf while another four lifeguards made their way quickly by land.

On arrival all nine casualties were out of the water. The lifeguards worked with the Coastguard to triage and treat the casualties who had a range of injuries from cuts and bruises to water inhalation, before handing over to the ambulance service Five casualties were airlifted to hospital, the other four were taken by land ambulance.

St Ives RNLI lifeboat crew had left work and home to respond to the emergency and launched the all weather lifeboat, making their way through huge seas to the scene. Thankfully all casualties were ashore and after standing by to ensure everyone was safe, the crew were stood down and returned to station.